Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The dispersion (standard deviation) of the estimator of neutron flux number

1. Dec 12, 2012 #1
    Hello people, I think the problem what I have is well known in experimental physics. Hope, somebody can helps me, thanks in advance. Here is:

There is a source of neutrons with a flux of λ neutrons per minute, which you do not know and want to estimate. You open the detector for one minute and it counts N neutrons. The maximum likelihood estimator for λ would be N.
    Find the dispersion (or standard deviation) of this estimator. What will it be for the limiting case N=0?

Looks like Poisson distribution, where λ isn't known.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2012 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Yes, exactly. What is the standard deviation in terms of lambda for a Poisson distribution?

4. Dec 12, 2012 #3
    Standard deviation in terms of lambda is square root from lambda, but my event is different I think, have you any idea?

5. Dec 12, 2012 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

I think this is the best you can get with just one measurement. To estimate an empirical variance would require at least two measurements.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook