Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Dream Machine/Scientists can now read your mind

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081211/sc_afp/sciencejapanbrainoffbeat_081211052641

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: The Dream Machine

Imagine this: police show a suspect a portion of a picture of a crime scene. If the suspect's brain "fills in" the rest of the picture correctly...bingo! They've got their guy!

Cool...but a bit scary too :eek: .

4. Dec 13, 2008 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Shelving privacy related issues for now, this is quite fantastic.

Now to read the actual article...

5. Dec 13, 2008 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm just amazed that they can reconstruct simple letters from visual cortex activity. It is hard to imagine it working with more sophisticated visual imagery.

6. Dec 13, 2008 #5

I've always wanted to be able to record and re-watch my dreams...

7. Dec 13, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, as long as the crime involves simple letters, my interrogation scenario will work.

8. Dec 13, 2008 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Makes me think of a Sesame Street episode.
    "Oh, no! Someone has stolen the letter F! Who has stolen the letter F?"

9. Dec 13, 2008 #8

I would go straight to a psychiatric hospital if they took a look at my mind. =/

10. Dec 13, 2008 #9

just a warning, anybody that tries to read my thoughts is going to get goatse'd.

11. Dec 13, 2008 #10

Trust me, you DON'T want to see my dreams. Even I don't.

12. Dec 14, 2008 #11

ahahha, yet still the whole thing is eerily fascinating.

13. Dec 14, 2008 #12
    Scientists can now read your mind

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet....

[​IMG]

Researchers from Japan’s ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories have developed new brain analysis technology that can reconstruct the images inside a person’s mind and display them on a computer monitor, it was announced on December 11. According to the researchers, further development of the technology may soon make it possible to view other people’s dreams while they sleep.

The scientists were able to reconstruct various images viewed by a person by analyzing changes in their cerebral blood flow. Using a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) machine, the researchers first mapped the blood flow changes that occurred in the cerebral visual cortex as subjects viewed various images held in front of their eyes. Subjects were shown 400 random 10 x 10 pixel black-and-white images for a period of 12 seconds each. While the fMRI machine monitored the changes in brain activity, a computer crunched the data and learned to associate the various changes in brain activity with the different image designs.

Then, when the test subjects were shown a completely new set of images, such as the letters N-E-U-R-O-N, the system was able to reconstruct and display what the test subjects were viewing based solely on their brain activity.

For now, the system is only able to reproduce simple black-and-white images. But Dr. Kang Cheng, a researcher from the RIKEN Brain Science Institute, suggests that improving the measurement accuracy will make it possible to reproduce images in color.

“These results are a breakthrough in terms of understanding brain activity,” says Dr. Cheng. “In as little as 10 years, advances in this field of research may make it possible to read a person’s thoughts with some degree of accuracy.”

The researchers suggest a future version of this technology could be applied in the fields of art and design — particularly if it becomes possible to quickly and accurately access images existing inside an artist’s head. The technology might also lead to new treatments for conditions such as psychiatric disorders involving hallucinations, by providing doctors a direct window into the mind of the patient.

ATR chief researcher Yukiyasu Kamitani says, “This technology can also be applied to senses other than vision. In the future, it may also become possible to read feelings and complicated emotional states.”

The research results appear in the December 11 issue of US science journal Neuron.

Looks like this is the real article--http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WSS-4V4113M-P&_user=10&_coverDate=12%2F10%2F2008&_rdoc=20&_fmt=high&_orig=browse&_srch=doc-info(%23toc%237054%232008%23999399994%23757128%23FLA%23display%23Volume)&_cdi=7054&_sort=d&_docanchor=&_ct=21&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=c3fa3d5d679adb37b5983dd51af3aafb

14. Dec 14, 2008 #13

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Re: Scientists can now read your mind

They can, but government will.

15. Dec 14, 2008 #14

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

This will surely only lead to Faraday cage headwear accessories and lapel clip-on thought detection scramblers.

It will give new meaning to putting your thinking cap on.

16. Dec 14, 2008 #15

Hah! Suddenly tin-foil hats aren't such a bad idea, are they, HMM????

17. Dec 14, 2008 #16

LMAO. are you wearing one?

18. Dec 14, 2008 #17
  19. Dec 14, 2008 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

note: I merged 2 threads on this topic.

20. Dec 15, 2008 #19

Sounds like a Tom Cruise movie...

21. Dec 15, 2008 #20

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Who the uck has stolen the letter ? (version or grown up)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?