The effect of little sleep

• Medical
  • Thread starter Entanglement
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary, the conversation revolved around one individual's plan to sleep for only 3 hours a night for a month in order to prepare for final exams. They asked if anyone had experienced this level of sleep deprivation and if it had any significant effects on cognitive abilities, memory, or anxiety, and if it would impact exam performance. The individual also mentioned their interest in the field of medicine and asked for opinions on the potential effects of this sleep schedule. Another person shared their experience with sleep deprivation and warned against the potential negative consequences. It was also mentioned that a month is not a short amount of time and that individual experiences may vary. Finally, a source was provided for further research on the topic.
Entanglement
I think I'll have to sleep for only 3 hours every night for the next month because of my final exams. Has anyone who spent a while sleeping so little ever felt significant effect on their cognitive abilities, memory, or anxiety? Accordingly, will this affect how well one does on the exam?
I'd like to learn from your experiences. [emoji4]

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
NewtonsFellow said:
I think I'll have to sleep for only 3 hours every night for the next month because of my final exams. Has anyone who spent a while sleeping so little ever felt significant effect on their cognitive abilities, memory, or anxiety? Accordingly, will this affect how well one does on the exam?
I'd like to learn from your experiences. [emoji4]

I see from your PF Profile page that you are interested in the field of medicine. What do you think some of the effects will be?

Likes Pythagorean
berkeman said:
I see from your PF Profile page that you are interested in the field of medicine. What do you think some of the effects will be?
It surely has horrible and damaging effects in the long run but I was wondering if anyone has actually experienced sleep deprivation for only a short time like a month or so to get something done before a deadline or to study for exams. Is it worth it? What is it like when it comes to weighing the pros and cons?

Last edited:
For me lack of sleep one of most disastrous things that can effect you in general, anytime, let alone during exams. Memory, cognitive skills are degraded for sure. In extreme cases, i.e. several days, lack of sleep can lead to hallucinations, flashing lights and odd perception of sounds. In my experience it induced further insomnia. I would definitely rethink your intention of a 3 hour sleep regime.

I would add a month is not a short time, people have lost their minds in less.

There is no way that anecdotes from people can be of any help to you as everyone is different. There are studies on long term effects, but the effect that short term sleep deprivation will have on you, only you know.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21075236

What is considered "little sleep"?

Little sleep is typically defined as getting less than 7 hours of sleep in a 24-hour period. However, the exact amount can vary depending on the individual's age, health, and lifestyle.

What are the potential effects of little sleep?

Some potential effects of little sleep include fatigue, difficulty concentrating, mood disturbances, weakened immune system, and an increased risk of chronic health conditions such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.

Can little sleep be harmful to overall health?

Yes, chronic sleep deprivation or consistently getting less than the recommended amount of sleep can have negative impacts on overall health and well-being. It can also increase the risk of accidents and injuries.

How does little sleep affect cognitive function?

Lack of sleep can impair cognitive function, leading to difficulties with memory, decision-making, and problem-solving. It can also affect reaction time, attention span, and overall cognitive performance.

Is it possible to catch up on missed sleep?

While it is possible to catch up on missed sleep, it is not a long-term solution. Consistently getting enough sleep each night is important for maintaining overall health and well-being.