The Electron - Size of Magnetic field vs Size of Electric field

In summary, the magnetic field of the electron is much smaller than the electric field. The effective scattering cross-section of the magnetic field is approximately 100X smaller than the effective scattering cross-section of the electric field. To separate the two cross-sections in an experiment, a scattering event must occur.
Buckeye
What is the radius or effective scattering cross-section of the magnetic field of a free electron and what is the radius or effective scattering cross-section of the electric field of a free electron? Admittedly the two fields are different aspects of the EM field of the electron.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you separate these two cross sections in an experiment? A scattering cross section needs a reaction, so what would your reacton be or in other words, what is being scattered and by what? I am not sure I understand what you are asking and if I do, then your question may be ill-posed.

Are you trying to get a feel for the relative strength between them?

Norman said:
How do you separate these two cross sections in an experiment?
Good question. I'd love to know as well. Bohm (QT book) wrote that the magnetic field is roughly 100X smaller than the electric field, but I did not read if that was experimentally measured or estimated from a calculation.
Norman said:
A scattering cross section needs a reaction, so what would your reacton be or in other words, what is being scattered and by what? I am not sure I understand what you are asking and if I do, then your question may be ill-posed.
Sorry, but that's the best way I know how to put it.
Norman said:
Are you trying to get a feel for the relative strength between them?
Actually, I'm interested in the effective volume and the radial density of both. Does that help?

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. I think you are asking basically an classical electro/magnetostatics problem.

I will work it out and post what I get later tonight ok.
Cheers,
Ryan

By the way, the statement about the cross sections in completely meaningless since you must have some sort of scattering event to define the cross section. You are just looking for the ratio of the energy densities. Which will tell you something about their relative strengths.

Buckeye said:
Bohm (QT book) wrote that the magnetic field is roughly 100X smaller than the electric field, but I did not read if that was experimentally measured or estimated from a calculation.

at first glance this seems like it is very wrong. The magnetic field of the electron is due to the magnetic moment from the spin. Spin is a QM effect and therefore should be on the order of hbar which is very, very small. While the electric field is due to electrostatics and should be large when compared to hbar.

I would suggest openning your copy of Jackson and using the magnetic moment from spin to compute the magnetic energy density and then use standard electrostatics to compute the electric energy density. It should be very straight forward.

I will do it tonight or tomorrow morning.
Maybe someone else can weight in on this and see if my intuition is correct.
Cheers,
Ryan

1. How does the size of the magnetic field compare to the size of the electric field for an electron?

The size of the magnetic field for an electron is much smaller than the size of the electric field. The magnetic field is typically measured in units of Tesla, while the electric field is measured in units of volts per meter. This means that the electric field is significantly larger in magnitude than the magnetic field.

2. Why is the size of the magnetic field smaller than the size of the electric field for an electron?

This is due to the fact that the electric field is generated by a point charge, which is the electron, while the magnetic field is generated by a moving charge. Since the electron is much smaller than the distance it travels, the magnetic field is greatly reduced.

3. How does the size of the magnetic field change with distance from the electron?

The size of the magnetic field follows the inverse square law, meaning that it decreases as the distance from the electron increases. This is because the magnetic field is spread out over a larger area as it travels away from the electron.

4. Is the size of the magnetic field the same in all directions around the electron?

No, the size of the magnetic field can vary depending on the direction of measurement. This is due to the fact that the magnetic field is a vector quantity and has both magnitude and direction. The size of the magnetic field will be largest in the direction perpendicular to the motion of the electron and will be zero in the direction of motion.

5. Can the size of the electric and magnetic fields be measured separately for an electron?

Yes, the size of the electric and magnetic fields can be measured separately using different experimental techniques. The electric field can be measured using a device called an electric field probe, while the magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. These measurements can then be compared to determine the relative sizes of the two fields.