Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The expansion of the universe art video

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    Hey! I'm a filmmaker and just thought I'd post my video I made that is inspired by physics and the beauty of the universe.

http://vimeo.com/36267608

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2012 #2
    This is such a wonderful video, good job!

Could you explain the process behind this piece of art?

4. Mar 5, 2012 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ah, 1960's liquid light show.

5. Mar 5, 2012 #4
    Ooh, that's really nice. I've seen people doing it life on raves; very sixties/seventies.

6. Mar 5, 2012 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:cool:

7. Mar 5, 2012 #6
    Thanks! It's pretty much this process here using food coloring, milk and soap. The rest is just good lighting and cinematography.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Mar 5, 2012 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Excellent!!!

I love your choice of music as well. That was half of what made the movie Sunshine so awesome.

9. Mar 5, 2012 #8

fluidistic

Gold Member

Nice and thanks for the spoiler. You solved my PDE problem on diffusion/heat equation.

10. Mar 5, 2012 #9
    Great colors, textures, etc. I wouldn't mind having some part of your video transferred to a framed print and on the wall. Myles Thompson asked how you did the video. You didn't answer him. Is it a secret?

Ok, nevermind, I just looked at post #6. I had no idea that could be done with that stuff. Amazing.

11. Mar 5, 2012 #10
    Awe, I was going to go for a similar DE joke.

That was surprisingly pretty interesting. Milk, soap, and foodcoloring huh? Was that filmed under a lighted glass plate or something? Some of the divergences looked like you were pouring something onto a plate from the reverse side. Great work.

12. Mar 6, 2012 #11
    The music is quite great and definitely helps the minutes of swirling colors pass by faster.

Yes it was filmed on a clear plastic plate and backlit by light. The soap I just dropped from above so you can't really see it fall into frame. There was quite a bit of color correction in post as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook