The expansion of the universe art video

In summary, a filmmaker shared a video inspired by physics and the beauty of the universe that involved using food coloring, milk, and soap on a backlit plastic plate. The video also featured a great choice of music and impressive cinematography. The process of creating the video was explained and complimented by others.
dictator666
Hey! I'm a filmmaker and just thought I'd post my video I made that is inspired by physics and the beauty of the universe.

http://vimeo.com/36267608

Space news on Phys.org
This is such a wonderful video, good job!

Could you explain the process behind this piece of art?

Ah, 1960's liquid light show.

Ooh, that's really nice. I've seen people doing it life on raves; very sixties/seventies.

:cool:

Thanks! It's pretty much this process here using food coloring, milk and soap. The rest is just good lighting and cinematography.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent!

I love your choice of music as well. That was half of what made the movie Sunshine so awesome.

Nice and thanks for the spoiler. You solved my PDE problem on diffusion/heat equation.

dictator666 said:
Hey! I'm a filmmaker and just thought I'd post my video I made that is inspired by physics and the beauty of the universe.
http://vimeo.com/36267608
Great colors, textures, etc. I wouldn't mind having some part of your video transferred to a framed print and on the wall. Myles Thompson asked how you did the video. You didn't answer him. Is it a secret?

Ok, nevermind, I just looked at post #6. I had no idea that could be done with that stuff. Amazing.

fluidistic said:
Nice and thanks for the spoiler. You solved my PDE problem on diffusion/heat equation.

Awe, I was going to go for a similar DE joke.

That was surprisingly pretty interesting. Milk, soap, and foodcoloring huh? Was that filmed under a lighted glass plate or something? Some of the divergences looked like you were pouring something onto a plate from the reverse side. Great work.

Ivan Seeking said:
Excellent!

I love your choice of music as well. That was half of what made the movie Sunshine so awesome.

The music is quite great and definitely helps the minutes of swirling colors pass by faster.

QuarkCharmer said:
That was surprisingly pretty interesting. Milk, soap, and foodcoloring huh? Was that filmed under a lighted glass plate or something? Some of the divergences looked like you were pouring something onto a plate from the reverse side. Great work.

Yes it was filmed on a clear plastic plate and backlit by light. The soap I just dropped from above so you can't really see it fall into frame. There was quite a bit of color correction in post as well.

What is "The expansion of the universe art video"?

"The expansion of the universe art video" is an artistic representation of the concept of the expansion of the universe. It combines scientific data and visual effects to showcase the rapid expansion of the universe since the Big Bang.

What scientific data is used in the video?

The video uses data from various scientific sources, such as the Hubble Space Telescope, to accurately depict the expansion of the universe. It also incorporates data from the Cosmic Microwave Background, which is the oldest light in the universe.

How does the video illustrate the expansion of the universe?

The video uses visual effects, such as time-lapse animations and 3D models, to show the expansion of the universe over billions of years. It also includes narration to explain the scientific concepts behind the expansion.

Is the video scientifically accurate?

Yes, the video is based on scientific data and concepts. However, it is important to note that it is an artistic representation and may not show every detail or aspect of the expansion of the universe.

Who created the video and why?

The video was created by a team of scientists and artists with the goal of making the concept of the expansion of the universe more accessible and engaging to the general public. It serves as a way to bridge the gap between science and art.