The expelling of fuel from a rocket (Momentum)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the velocity of a model rocket after it has expelled 63.0g of burned fuel at a speed of 565m/s. The equation for the conservation of momentum is suggested, but the initial assumption that the speed is relative to the rocket is corrected. The correct equation is (rocket mass x 0m/s) + (fuel mass x 565m/s) = (rocket mass x v) + (fuel mass x (565-v)), resulting in a final velocity of 8.89m/s. Gratitude is expressed for the help provided.
tyro008

Homework Statement

A 4.00kg model rocket is launched, expelling 63.0g of burned fuel from its exhaust at a speed of 565m/s. What is the velocity of the rocket after the fuel has burned. Hint: Ignore the external forces of gravity and air resistance.

Homework Equations

Conservation of Momentum?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the equation for the conservation of momentum by doing M1Vi=M-0.063Vf... but that did not work. I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
tyro008 said:
A 4.00kg model rocket is launched, expelling 63.0g of burned fuel from its exhaust at a speed of 565m/s. What is the velocity of the rocket after the fuel has burned.

I tried using the equation for the conservation of momentum by doing M1Vi=M-0.063Vf... but that did not work. I am stuck.

Hi tyro008! :smile:

I think you've assumed that 565 m/s is the fuel's actual speed … but the question probably means the speed relative to the rocket.

Do you mean that this is the rocket's speed?

tyro008 said:
Do you mean that this is the rocket's speed?

No … the rocket starts at speed 0, and so the fuel is at speed 565.

But later the rocket is at speed v, say, and the fuel is at speed (565 - v). :smile:

so i did
(rocketmass X 0m/s) + (fuelmass X 565 m/s) = (rocketmass X v) + (fuelmass X (565 - v)
would this be right??

(this would be to find v)

answer - 8.89m/s...Is this right?

hey yeah it is! thanks so much to all you guys for helping me, i REALLY appreciate it! :]

1. What is the purpose of expelling fuel from a rocket?

The main purpose of expelling fuel from a rocket is to generate thrust, which is the force that propels the rocket forward. This thrust is created through Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. By expelling fuel at high speeds out of the back of the rocket, the rocket experiences an equal and opposite force in the opposite direction, propelling it forward.

2. How does the mass of the rocket affect the expelling of fuel and momentum?

The mass of the rocket does affect the expelling of fuel and momentum. According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that as the rocket expels fuel, its mass decreases, and therefore its velocity and momentum increase. This is why rockets are designed to be as lightweight as possible, to maximize their acceleration and momentum.

3. What type of fuel is typically used in rockets?

The type of fuel used in rockets can vary, but most rockets today use liquid propellants, such as liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen. These fuels are highly efficient and provide a large amount of energy when combusted. However, solid propellants, such as solid rocket boosters, are also commonly used in rockets.

4. How do rockets control the direction of the expelled fuel?

Rockets use a variety of methods to control the direction of the expelled fuel. Some rockets have movable nozzles that can be adjusted to change the direction of the exhaust gases. Others use a system of fins or thrusters to control the direction of the rocket. Additionally, the shape and design of the rocket itself can also play a role in controlling the direction of the expelled fuel.

5. How is the amount of fuel expelled from a rocket determined?

The amount of fuel expelled from a rocket is determined by a complex equation that takes into account factors such as the mass of the rocket, the desired velocity, and the specific impulse of the fuel. Engineers must carefully calculate and design the amount of fuel to be expelled in order to achieve the desired trajectory and velocity for the rocket's journey. This calculation is crucial for the success of the rocket's mission.