1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The expelling of fuel from a rocket (Momentum)

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 4.00kg model rocket is launched, expelling 63.0g of burned fuel from its exhaust at a speed of 565m/s. What is the velocity of the rocket after the fuel has burned. Hint: Ignore the external forces of gravity and air resistance.

2. Relevant equations
    Conservation of Momentum?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the equation for the conservation of momentum by doing M1Vi=M-0.063Vf... but that did not work. I am stuck.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi tyro008! :smile:

I think you've assumed that 565 m/s is the fuel's actual speed … but the question probably means the speed relative to the rocket.
  4. Oct 20, 2008 #3
    Do you mean that this is the rocket's speed?
  5. Oct 20, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No … the rocket starts at speed 0, and so the fuel is at speed 565.

But later the rocket is at speed v, say, and the fuel is at speed (565 - v). :smile:
  6. Oct 20, 2008 #5
    so i did
    (rocketmass X 0m/s) + (fuelmass X 565 m/s) = (rocketmass X v) + (fuelmass X (565 - v)
    would this be right??
  7. Oct 20, 2008 #6
    (this would be to find v)
  8. Oct 20, 2008 #7
    answer - 8.89m/s...Is this right?
  9. Oct 20, 2008 #8
    hey yeah it is!! thanks so much to all you guys for helping me, i REALLY appreciate it!! :]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?