The Final Theory - is this guy serious?

In summary, Mark McCutcheon's "Final Theory" is a scam. All of the gravity-driven dynamics in our universe occur without any work being done, according to today's science, meaning there is no need to identify a power source or to expect energy to be drained from such a source to drive it all. He claims that objects are held forcefully to the planet by Newton's gravitational force, but since the objects don't move, no energy source is required to explain this. Yet, as we all know, it certainly takes energy to push a heavy boulder even if it doesn't move or to hold an object in our hands even though it isn't moving. But in today's science, since the Work Function states that work
Physics Nut
"The Final Theory" - is this guy serious?

There's something I've been trying to figure out about this guy, Mark McCutcheon, and his "Final Theory"; is he serious? I find it pretty hard to imagine that Mark actually believes what he says. So, I'm wondering whether he's a charlatan trying to make some money off his book sales, or maybe he's just doing this "for the fun of it"? If he is serious, it seems to me that he needs professional help. Talk about delusions of grandeur! Also note all the rave reviews on his home page, are these reviews real or made up by Mark himself?

His mad, mad, mad site:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wasn't aware time dilation was made up...

Better go call up the guys who run the GPS system and tell them to stop re-calibrating the satellites.

Wow! A crackpot so dense, he's about to collapse into his own graviational field! I'd better alert the astronomers. :biggrin:

Curious3141 said:
It's on Crank dot Net http://www.crank.net/grand.html

I go there to screen any new site - it's a good way to weed out the obvious loonies.
I go to that website every once in a while.:approve: (Why didn't it get crankiest)
The Final "theory" is really called expansion theory. His theory is bascially saying that there is no gravity and atoms are expanding so that it seems like there is gravity. His reason for the nonexistance of gravity is because it's breaking the law that energy cannot be created nor destroy and he claims that physicst is lieing about the work funcation and trying to tell people that exist because it's no work
2) The Work Function:

When all else fails, we are told not to worry about the
gravitational power source because gravity never does any
work throughout the universe. That's right, according to
today's science, all of the gravity-driven dynamics in our
universe occur without any work being done, therefore there is
no need to identify a power source or to expect energy to be
drained from such a source to drive it all. We are told that
objects are held forcefully to the planet by Newton's
gravitational force, but since the objects don't move, no energy
source is required to explain this. Yet, as we all know, it
certainly takes energy to push a heavy boulder even if it doesn't
move or to hold an object in our hands even though it isn't
moving. But in today's science, since the Work Function states
that work = force x distance, no movement means zero
distance and therefore zero work, apparently resolving the
issue. All physicists will repeat this same flawed logical
justification attempt when asked about the power source for
gravity, and will refuse to discuss the matter further since this
is all they were ever told by their instructors.
He bascially rewrites the diffition of work(which I'am calling defftion of work Markons sicne it's his diffetion) and tries to tell everone that physicst are lieing and trying to get everone believe them.

It is a scam.
Q: If this really is the Theory Of Everything and
the answers are so simple, why not just state
what this new theory says here?

A: Although the answers are indeed solid and simple, very
rational and commonsense, and completely developed in the
book, they do still represent a completely different perspective
on all of our science and experience; you will never view even
falling objects the same way again after reading this book!
Such a radical new perspective on our universe requires a
proper context and solid foundation. Otherwise many questions
come to mind .. if that is so, then what about this? And how
does it explain that? Etc. Rest assured that all questions are
fully addressed and all points clearly explained in the book, but
justice couldn't be done to this new theory in any less than
the 400+ pages it contains -- there would be too many doubts
and questions otherwise. The theory itself is not complicated,
but it must be solidly applied to every aspect of our science
and our personal experience, from Newtonian gravity to
quantum mechanics and everything in between. This FAQ
clearly shows many major flaws in our current science -- many
of which are not even currently recognized today -- and goes as
far as possible and reasonable to show that the author knows
what he is talking about and that The Final Theory has the
answers. The rest is up to you!
You see he's trying to get everone to advertise his book for him.
We need to speard the word that it is a scam.Escipally on nonphysics sites,
By the way he also has a link to PF on his sight.
Does anyone know how we can get a pettion to get the publisher stop publishing a crackpot theory.

scott1 said:
Does anyone know how we can get a pettion to get the publisher stop publishing a crackpot theory.
Forget it. If it makes money, they'll sell it.

Danger said:
Forget it. If it makes money, they'll sell it.
Yeah the problem is that there making money false information.
Oh well atleast 80% of the popluation will belevie us.

Yet, as we all know, it
certainly takes energy to push a heavy boulder even if it doesn't
move or to hold an object in our hands even though it isn't
moving.

haha as of 2 days ago, even I am not dumb enough to fall for this one!

Which of you has read the book?

Its only 40 bucks , roughly the cost of a movie for 2.

I will pay one of you the $40 to read it and write a full review in this site

Or are you folks just sooo busy you have to prejudge everything through the lense of your own formal and highly endoctrinated education

He claims to have found a flas in einsteins math in the derivation of SR

Dont you think its worth 40 bucks to debunk him and write a review of how his math is wrong ?

Come on , out of the chatroom and do some work for the rest of us simple minded folks that don't know where to turn

Why would we give a crackpot 40 bucks of our hard earned money?

Ricardhheitman said:

Or are you folks just sooo busy you have to prejudge everything through the lense of your own formal and highly endoctrinated education

Dont you think its worth 40 bucks to debunk him and write a review of how his math is wrong ?

Come on , out of the chatroom and do some work for the rest of us simple minded folks that don't know where to turn

Cough up the $40 yourself and I'm sure someone on here will be glad to call your bluff.

Someone get a 14 year old to explain high school physics to this guy.

Entropy said:
Someone get a 14 year old to explain high school physics to this guy.

I think the problem is that he relies on a 14 year old's physics knowledge to make him sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

'Light slows as it passes through water or
glass, causing it to bend, but how can it
return to light-speed on its own once it exits?'

I smell a nobel prize in physics...

cyrusabdollahi said:
I smell a nobel prize in physics...

He sure blew my mind! :confused:

:rofl: That's funny.

Ricardhheitman said:

I glanced at the free first chapter. The wonders of this little morsel alone speak of the feasts of wisdom hidden deeper within. :rolleyes:

"Consider the situation where an object is simply too heavy to move, despite all efforts to push it. There is no question that one could expend a tremendous amount of effort and energy attempting to move the object, yet never actually manage to move it an inch. However, applying the Work Function as a “work detector,” it calculates that zero work was done. A tremendous amount of force was applied to the object, but the object was nevertheless moved zero distance, and since work equals force times distance, the Work Function calculates that zero work was done. If this were further taken to mean no energy was expended, we would have a worker who is exhausted from attempting to move such a heavy object, yet who is considered to have expended no energy. Of course, this is obviously a serious misapplication of the Work Function that brings nonsensical results, yet this is precisely the logic used to justify the gravitational force, as we will see shortly. The Work Function is only designed to help organize and quantify situations where a force clearly moves an object through a distance, but is not meant to function as a generic “work detector” that further tells us whether any energy was expended by an arbitrary event."

Wow. Nowhere have I seen such a misleading and misguided interpretation of the physical meaning of "work". The "work function" IS perfectly adequate for quantifying the energy expended in futile manual effort. The apparent paradox is simply explained by considering what happens at the ultramicroscopic level in the skeletal muscle fibers where force is generated not by a static contraction, but by a dynamic cycling of myosin filaments over actin filaments. *This* process involves constant movement and conformational change, powered by the hydrolysis of ATP, an exothermic chemical reaction. Even isometric muscle contraction generating a constant force against a constant unmoving load is a dynamic, energy-using process because the actual work is being done on molecules in the muscle fibers (and being dissipated as heat), not on the carried load.

A medical student would've been able to give the author this simple resolution to the "paradox", yet the author seems to have put blinkers on and accepted the grade school version at face value.

If even the first chapter is mangling basic classical physics this much, I shudder to think what he's going to do with Einstein. No thanks, please keep the forty bucks, I have grave qualms about subjecting myself to further assaults by his rubbish.

Read above pengwunio, you asked that question and now you have a more detailed answer to work on your muscles.

Come to think of it, i remember doing something where i was able to detect the current draw of a motor attempting to move some block. What confounded me at the time was that the blockw as so big that the motor couldn't move it yet no energy was being drawn.

What do you mean no energy was being drawn? What do you think the motor was running on?

I meant because the block wasn't being moved, the motor wasn't capable of moving (it was attached or something... i think we were screwing wiht some kind of pulley system), thus no work was being done.

This is crazy! It completely conflicts with http://www.timecube.com/" !

:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice try boys .

So no one has read the book. I have it on order myself , I will let you know.

Maybe others will recall that the light passing through substance issue ( how it retains momentum) was discussed in depth in this forum and there was an amazingly high degree of disagreement about how the process worked. As I recall it needed a solid quote from Feynmans work to resolve it

Perhaps the obviously older than 14 years Pengweno could recite the process just to demonstrate his credentials to decide someone elses work is heretical without reading it , or possibly understanding it.

remember at one point everyone thought the Earth was flat and later that the sun revolved aroiund the earth. These were serious folks , although slightly fanatical , and the stakes were pretty high.

Ricardhheitman said:
Maybe others will recall that the light passing through substance issue ( how it retains momentum) was discussed in depth in this forum and there was an amazingly high degree of disagreement about how the process worked. As I recall it needed a solid quote from Feynmans work to resolve it

Whaaaa?

Just because there is a "disagreement" on here, doesn't mean there is an disagreement in physics. Open any solid state text, or condensed matter text, and you'll find a clear description of the normal transport of light in an ordinary dispersive medium.

What people are confused with was that the transport process depends on the NATURE of the medium. Light transmitting through a normal gas doesn't not have the same mechanism as light transmitting through glass. It is when people who don't know any better try to make an general theory of such a transport for different mechanism is when things get confusing.

You are welcome to check the FAQ in the General Physics forum and see the standard mechanism of light transport in a normal dispersive solid. There are no "disagreement" here.

remember at one point everyone thought the Earth was flat and later that the sun revolved aroiund the earth. These were serious folks , although slightly fanatical , and the stakes were pretty high.

And remember that all of the revolutionary ideas were done meticulously by people who have studied these things carefully. They didn't simply spew their ideas out of ignorance of the subject matter. The same cannot be said about this "book".

Zz.

So no one has read the book. I have it on order myself , I will let you know.

A sucker is born every minute. Nice job giving away $40 of your hard earned money to a crackpot, you could have bought an introductory physics textbook with that money.

cyrusabdollahi said:
A sucker is born every minute. Nice job giving away $40 of your hard earned money to a crackpot, you could have bought an introductory physics textbook with that money.

Exactly right.

I will pay 40 bucks of my hard earned for a fresh idea. I will pay you 40 bucks if you can come up with a fresh idea.

I am amazed at the emotional energy level here. The definition of a sucker is someone who thinks there going to get something for nothing and ends up paying for it.

This guy has written 600 pages of stuff , spent the money to bind a few thoudsand copies , create a website , find a publisher , get Amazon and whomever to put it on their site..

In short a lot of energy has been expended. he obviously thinks he has something to say and has invested heavily in it.

All of you think he should publish the paper for free. I disagree , much as I don't think the writer of a novel should give that away for free.

By telling each other he is crazy and feeling good about him being stupid , you are precisely in the same mental and emotional place that the Spanish Inquisition was when it threatened to "purge" Leibniz for his theories. They were advised by the best ( meaning highest paid , most to lose) scientists of their time

You can't critique what you have not read , and you can take snippets out of context and react only to those.

FYI the author defended himself directly in this forum until the now closed thread of "ooh another Final Theory I believe. When he did so ( and the record is still available) there were very few actual challenges. He is also by the way a reasonably credentialed person.

Ricardhheitman said:
I will pay 40 bucks of my hard earned for a fresh idea. I will pay you 40 bucks if you can come up with a fresh idea.

Here's one.

Idea: The sky isn't blue, it's octarine!

May I have the 40 bucks, please?

For one, he betrays a complete misunderstanding of concepts like force, energy and work.
Why should one bother to read any more of this patent crackpot?

siddharth said:
Here's one.
The sky isn't blue, it's octarine!

May I have the 40 bucks please?
Have you heard about a guy called Pratchett?
Send the 40 bucks to him, I'm sure he needs them.

arildno said:
Have you heard about a guy called Pratchett?
Send the 40 bucks to him, I'm sure he needs them.

He never said that the sky was octarine! Still, as a loyal fan, I'll send him the 40 bucks if I get it.

Last edited:
Y'know, I had a rather scathing reply typed out earlier on but I had canned it. Since you persist in baiting us, screw it, the gloves are off.

Ricardhheitman said:

Such generosity. The quality or even validity of the idea is of no importance of course. With a flat rate of 40 bucks a pop, there's no sense in having standards, right?

I am amazed at the emotional energy level here. The definition of a sucker is someone who thinks there going to get something for nothing and ends up paying for it.

The definition of a fool is one who thinks he is paying for something of greater value than it holds.

This guy has written 600 pages of stuff , spent the money to bind a few thoudsand copies , create a website , find a publisher , get Amazon and whomever to put it on their site..

Yes, we all know the meticulous peer review process commercial books go through. The massive intellects and scrupulous intellectual integrity of big name publishers is legendary, no? And we all know that everything in print is the gospel truth, no? And authors who publish books hundreds of pages long are immediately worthy of our respect.

By the way, Mein Kampf was hundreds of pages long, and good old Adolf took the trouble to do that from prison by dictation. I wonder if that book's any good? It must be, by your criteria, right?

All of you think he should publish the paper for free. I disagree , much as I don't think the writer of a novel should give that away for free.

Believe me, my opinion of this book has nothing to do with what he's charging. I wouldn't read it if he offered it for free; heck I wouldn't read it if he paid me to do so. My time is too valuable to be wasted on tripe like that.

There are popular science books that do a fairly good job of conveying a more or less accurate picture of scientific principles and concepts. Those I support. This is NOT one of those.

By telling each other he is crazy and feeling good about him being stupid , you are precisely in the same mental and emotional place that the Spanish Inquisition was when it threatened to "purge" Leibniz for his theories. They were advised by the best ( meaning highest paid , most to lose) scientists of their time

So now he's of Leibniz's standard, is he? And we're a modern Inquisition, are we? :rofl:

You can't critique what you have not read , and you can take snippets out of context and react only to those.

What I've read is enough to convince me it's not worth reading any more. Besides, even if I read the damned thing cover to cover, what would be the point? I bet you'd still be here accusing us either of a woeful lack of insight into his supposed genius or of wilfully perpetuating some sort of intellectual conspiracy to keep the free thinkers down. Wouldn't you? Be honest now.

FYI the author defended himself directly in this forum until the now closed thread of "ooh another Final Theory I believe. When he did so ( and the record is still available) there were very few actual challenges. He is also by the way a reasonably credentialed person.

I'm sure the Mentors have something to say about this thread they closed and their (educated, fairly trustworthy) opinion of it. And by what standard do you assess his credentials to be "reasonable"? In any case, scientists should care less about credentials than the worth of the ideas being put forth. There are some highly decorated crackpots out there.

Anyway, who am I to attempt to dissuade you? Please, go ahead, spend your presumably hard-earned money and your probably not-so-hard-earned time on procuring and reading this book. And while you're at it, order some Penta Water too, to keep you supernormally hydrated during your intellectual endeavor. That stuff's sold by crackpots and charlatans to gullible consumers, it should go nicely with this reading material.

Last edited:
Well , I should probably take my own advice and read the book before I seem to be promoting it which I am not.

I am promoting the idea of critical and intelligent review.That all

And no , I don't have time or inclination just to bait all of you into a time wasting excercise. While I am very fortuante in a relative way I still work 50- 60 hours a week.

What I will have to do is read the book , pick a part of it that is elf contained , and make believe I am someone else , bring it into the forum and ask for debate as if I were a high school sophmore. You could then illuminate the flaws with some rigor without feeling like you are wasting your time because its a good thing to straigthen out the drivel of sophmores looking for homeworK answers , but apparently not a good use of time to correct someone who ought to know better and went to the ffort to write 600 pages to debate you in earnest and in detail

I'm embarrassed on behalf of PF. It amazes me that an obvious crackpot can have his own three-page advertisement right here in the middle of GD.

Rach3 said:
I'm embarrassed on behalf of PF. It amazes me that an obvious crackpot can have his own three-page advertisement right here in the middle of GD.
I agree it's time to close down the circus. I don't think anyone here would be tempted to read something that the guy had to pay to get printed himself. :rolleyes:

1. Is "The Final Theory" a legitimate scientific theory?

It is not considered a legitimate scientific theory by the majority of the scientific community. The author, Mark McCutcheon, does not have a background in physics and his theory has not been peer-reviewed or published in any reputable scientific journals.

2. What are the main ideas behind "The Final Theory"?

The main ideas behind "The Final Theory" include the rejection of the Standard Model of particle physics and the theory of relativity, and the proposal of a new model based on the concept of aether as the fundamental substance of the universe.

3. How does "The Final Theory" differ from established scientific theories?

"The Final Theory" differs from established scientific theories in that it does not have any experimental evidence or mathematical equations to support its claims. It also goes against well-established principles and laws in physics.

4. What criticisms have been raised against "The Final Theory"?

Critics have pointed out that "The Final Theory" lacks scientific rigor and credibility, as well as making unfounded claims and ignoring well-established scientific principles. It has also been criticized for promoting pseudoscience and conspiracy theories.

5. Has "The Final Theory" been tested or proven?

No, "The Final Theory" has not been tested or proven through any scientific experiments or observations. Without any empirical evidence, it remains a speculative idea rather than a scientifically valid theory.