1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The forces in an atomic nucleus

1. Feb 12, 2010 #1
    In an atomic nucleus, there is protons, and neutrons. The protons are positively charged and the repel each other. However, there is an "opposing" that helps to keep the nucleus in a piece instead of breaking apart. Does anyone know what kind of force is this? And what causes this force to be present in an atom nucleus? Thanks a lot in advance.
    P.S. Moderator, I think i have posted this topic in a wrong section. Please help me to move this to the appropriate section. thanks.=D

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #2
    Hi,
    1. nuclear force (a extremely strong force).
    2. may be quarks.

4. Feb 12, 2010 #3
    The dominant force holding protons and neutrons together in a nucleus (and also that holds the protons and neutrons together themselves) is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong_interaction" [Broken]' charge. Although individual protons and neutrons are color neutral overall, they are not fundamental particles and their internal structure (i.e., the color charged quarks and gluons that make them up) still allows for strong interactions between them when they are close together.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook