Agreed. I needed mine for a SS/Medicare issue, and it shouldn't have cost me money for a notarized copy. We pay taxes that support the operation of the county offices. The copy was needed to help prevent Medicare fraud, which I whole-heartedly support, but getting that copy was a pain in the butt. It is, after all, a public record. If someone other than myself or my wife wanted to order that document, they should have to pay.
If I had been a day-laborer, or a regularly-employed low-wage laborer, and I had to take hours (and it took hours) off my job to prove that I was a US citizen, I'd have to carefully weigh the lost time, chances of losing my job, and the out-of-pocket expense to get that documentation. In my case that wasn't a big thing. In the case of Native Americans and Natural-Born and Naturalized Hispanics in Arizona, it could be a really big thing. Big enough to discourage them from even registering to vote, which is sad. US citizens should never face undue resistance from access to voting rights, especially citizens that are financially disadvantaged.