Gokul43201 said:
I don't doubt that at all (despite having talked to very few TP folks). I also believe that if you haven't been thinking about issues of politics and government for a considerable time, and come in with a fairly clean slate, that you are much more susceptible to social pressures to conform to whatever your peers fancy. This is particularly true (IMO) with young voters in college, but just as true with older voters who have lived their entire lives in a small rural community.
In some cases it's not social pressure, it's common concern/needs/situations that loosely unite people.
As for the success of the Tea Party, it most likely stands on 3 legs.
1.) fear of tax increases due to massive spending (stimulus) and legislation (cap and trade)
2.) revolt against special treatment for select groups (unions and banks)
3.) exposure of/to the legislative process (many people got their first real look of how Washington works with the health care bill) and the attitude/response of the politicians when people voiced concern.
I don't think this
started as a right wing or Republican group. I think this is a group of people who said "wait a minute" - let's talk about this - tell me what you're doing and why.
Then Nancy Pelosi and others made fun of them, called them Nazis, someone (perhaps Anderson Cooper?) labelled them "tea baggers", town hall meetings erupted into screaming matches, etc. A politician should never position themself as anti-voter, or project a superior attitude of "I know better than you". At that point, it was obvious incumbents were in trouble.
By the way, when it was revealed last week that some of the Government employees unions were the biggest spenders to protect incumbents - I think the Tea Party grew a little larger.
