Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The greatest poets of Rock & Roll

1. Sep 19, 2010 #1
    In my opinion, Rock & Roll offers great music, but not so great lyrics. Who, like Bob Dylan, bucks the latter trend?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2010 #2
    I would add Paul Simon!

4. Sep 19, 2010 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Simon is great, and I really love his integration of real-life African musicians for the "Graceland" album. Ironic, I think, that Art Garfunkle declared upon their break-up that Simon couldn't make it without him (same as Jerry Lewis said about Dean Martin).
    I think that Springsteen nails down the vox populi better than any other North American balladeer. In olden times, Arlo Guthrie was pretty tuned in. Unfortunately, my knowledge of overseas music is virtually non-existent, so I can't comment upon that.

5. Sep 19, 2010 #4
    Evenflow by Pearl Jam

6. Sep 19, 2010 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love Graceland, brings back memories of Alaska, I listened to it a lot up there.

But I have to admit...

...I have no idea what he was talking about.

7. Sep 19, 2010 #6
    Don Henley in countless songs.

The more I know, the less I understand
    All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again
    I've been tryin' to get down
    to the heart of the matter
    But my will gets weak
    and my thoughts seem to scatter
    But I think it's about forgiveness
    Forgiveness
    Even if, even if you don't love me anymore

8. Sep 20, 2010 #7

Danger

Gold Member

For me, it was "Boys of Summer", because an incredibly gorgeous young lady, who was the keyboardist, bass player, and co-lead singer of a band used to sing it for me. That's not to detract from the fact that it's a damned good song, and I like the original Henley version.

9. Sep 20, 2010 #8
    Leonard Cohen.

10. Sep 20, 2010 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like a lot of Billy Joel's lyrics (in addition to those already named above).

There is, of course, the original poet of Rock & Roll: the Lizard King.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Sep 20, 2010 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also, I would add Bernie Taupin, who wrote many of the lyrics for Elton John's stuff. For example, Candle in the Wind, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and Love Lies Bleeding.

12. Sep 20, 2010 #11

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

As mentioned above, Billy Joel and Bernie Taupin have some amazing lyrics. For example, Billy Joel's "Angry Young Man":
    and Vienna:
    In these songs and in many others he manages to express in a few lines ideas that'd take me a few pages to write about.

In addition, The Beatles have a few songs with great lyrics such as "Let it Be", "Across the Universe" and "She's Leaving Home".

The Grateful Dead also have some interesting, though somewhat cryptic, lyrics. "A Box of Rain" is one of my favories.

I'd also like to add the Eagles (Don Henley in particular). In my opinion, "The Last Resort" is particularly powerful:
    (The song is more about the environment then religion but those lines are my favorite)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  13. Sep 20, 2010 #12

Danger

Gold Member

I disagree only in one regard... you discredited him. Every bloody song by Elton that is worth listening to was written by Bernie. "Love Lies Bleeding" is one of my absolute favourites, and is of course a companion to "Funeral For a Friend" (same idea as Queen's "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" going together). Come to think of it, I suppose that "Funeral For a Friend" has nothing to do with Bernie since it has no lyrics. Oh, well, I can't always be right.

14. Sep 20, 2010 #13

Danger

Gold Member

WTF?! :eek:
    Did I just post that?!
    Ignore it... I was drunk... aliens took over my brain...
    Of course I'm always right. I can't believe that I slipped up like that.

15. Sep 20, 2010 #14
    This is more along the lines of hardcore punk in the modern rock genre, not Bob Dylan.

Rise Against has some great lyrics.

http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858735734/"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnbvOi4SpSk

Others by this band to look up: Hero of War, Audience of One, Paper Wings

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  16. Sep 20, 2010 #15
    Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Hendrix, Clapton, Incubus, ACDC, Deep Purple, Pearl Jam, A Perfect Circle (APC) all have some great lyrics. Slightly off genre, Tool (progressive metal) has some great lyrics. Tool also covered Imagine by John Lennon and imo, its much much better than the original.

17. Sep 20, 2010 #16
    Very hard to beat the rolling stones when it comes to lyrics, guns n roses aint too bad either.

18. Sep 20, 2010 #17

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ditto to all of the above. I'd add Jerry Garcia.

19. Sep 20, 2010 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep. As for Funeral for a Friend, those are the most ragged pages in my Elton John Complete piano book [or any piano book that I have]. Bet I've play that one a thousand times! Great stuff!!!

Okay, maybe not a thousand, but hundreds of times to be sure.

20. Sep 20, 2010 #19
    Don't know if they count as Rock'n'Roll: But The Jam, especially 'That's Entertainment' and 'Underground'.

21. Sep 20, 2010 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Have to add Jackson Browne. He was writing songs for other performers before he got recorded. My favorite Browne tune is "For a Dancer".

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook