The green comet is just a weak smudge now

In summary, the comet was first observed a few weeks ago and was long and bright, but now it is barely visible with a 12X, 60mm binocular. According to 9-news, NASA says the comet will be visible in the Southern Hemisphere in early February and will be closest to Earth on February 2 before heading back into space. Its tail always points away from the sun, so its visibility on Earth may vary. Although it will not be around for long, its position in relation to Earth and the Sun has changed since it was first observed two weeks ago. Despite the hype, the comet was only a faint smudge due to the light from streetlights and the cold temperature.
swampwiz
I think I has observed it a few weeks ago (maybe it was something else), and it was long & bright, but now it's barely visible . (I'm using a 12X, 60mm binocular.)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
According to 9-news, NASA say the comet should be able to be seen in the Southern Hemisphere during early February. It will be closest to Earth on February 2, before heading back out into space.

Whew. You had me worried for a minute there. Thought you were talking about this guy
1674857723047.png

swampwiz said:
I think I has observed it a few weeks ago (maybe it was something else), and it was long & bright, but now it's barely visible . (I'm using a 12X, 60mm binocular.)
Its tail always points away from the sun, so it might be more visible on Earth at some parts of its orbit than at others. It will not be around for long, so the geometry of it, versus Earth, versus the Sun has changed a lot since two weeks ago.

ust saw the much (over)hyped comet using large binoculars. Lots of light from streetlights, so just a faint smudge. Temperature was -26C (-15F). Still enjoyed, despite the faintness and cold. Used 10x50s to locate it, then 15x70s.

1. What causes a comet to turn green?

The green color of a comet is caused by the presence of cyanogen and diatomic carbon gases in its nucleus. When these gases are heated by the sun, they emit a green glow, giving the comet its characteristic color.

2. Why does the green comet appear weaker now?

The green comet may appear weaker now because it is moving away from the sun, which means it is receiving less heat and therefore producing less gas and dust. This results in a weaker and fainter appearance.

3. How long will the green comet be visible?

The visibility of a comet depends on its orbit and distance from the sun. Some comets can be visible for weeks or even months, while others may only be visible for a few days. It is difficult to predict the exact length of time a comet will be visible, but typically they are visible for a few weeks.

4. Can the green comet be seen with the naked eye?

It is possible to see the green comet with the naked eye, but it may be difficult to spot due to its faint appearance. It is recommended to use binoculars or a telescope for a better view. The best time to see the comet is during the early morning hours before sunrise.

5. Is the green comet dangerous?

No, the green comet is not dangerous. It is a natural phenomenon that poses no threat to Earth or its inhabitants. However, it is important to follow safety precautions when observing the comet, such as not looking directly at the sun and using proper eye protection.