1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Greener Pastures Phenomenon

1. Nov 30, 2005 #1
    The "Greener Pastures" Phenomenon

Good Morning,
    How many here are thinking about switching out of physics to persue a career in the financial services industry?
    Three students were graduated from my old research group: All of them decided to leave physics and work on Wall Street[tex]^*[/tex]. Anyway, would you please post here if you are considering a similar transition at the end of your program? Please also mention if you are a B.S. or Ph.D. student.
    ^* \small{\text{What's this planet coming to!?!?\cdots!?}}
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2005 #2
    im going to write a thread wat do u think of it..(dont be a physicist)...srry just want to get as much comments as possible
  4. Dec 6, 2005 #3
    I'm not a physicist, I'm a computer scientist, but I did work on Wall Street for a couple of years quite a while ago. They *love* physicists there... especially if you can claim any connection with NASA whatsoever. "REAL rocket scientists!" they'd whisper...

Over a decade later, I'm *still* not paid as much salary as I was then... it was a lot of fun, but it had a "through the looking glass" quality to it. Much of the time, I felt like saying "Greetings from the planet Earth, I come in peace..." to almost everyone I met there. The money was great... the feeling that I wasn't really doing anything productive, less so. I think two years was just about my limit.

Your mileage may vary.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?