The height at which the gravity acceleration is 5x smaller

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving calculating the height at which the gravity acceleration is 5 times smaller than on the surface of the earth. The homework equations and attempt at a solution are discussed, and various approaches are suggested. The correct solution is eventually found using the method of canceling out and solving a quadratic equation.
Amar

Homework Statement

The problem states to calculate the height at which the gravity acceleration is 5x smaller than on the surface of the earth. So
g=9,81 m/s^2
R=6370km
M=6x10^24
gamma(don't know how to put it :P)=6,67x10^-11

Homework Equations

g=gamma x M/(R+h)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was pretty confident in this h = sqrt (g x R)/(gamma x M) but the result turned out bad.

The book I use states that the result is 7874 km. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Your approach sounds right. Can you show the steps in your calculations so we can look for errors?

Thank you :)

Firstly I calculated the 5x smaller gravity ( g/5 ) which resulted in 1,962 m/s^2
Then I converted the 6370km to meters ( 6 370 000 m )
Then, using my approach sqrt( 1,962 x 6370000 ) / ( 6,67 x 10^-11 x 6x10^24 ) i ended up with sqrt 18383940 / 40,02 x 10^23 which ended up as sqrt 0.0000000459368816 and I found it useless to continue as the result is obviously wrong

Feel free to write G for the gravitational constant.

You might find it simpler to first find the radial distance where the acceleration is 1/5 g. Then subtract one Earth radius to yield the height. Work with symbols at first: stuff will cancel out and you can save fingers and calculator batteries. Use ratios!

g_1=gamma x M/(R+0)^2
g_2 = gamma x M/(R+h)^2
g_1/g_2 = 5.
Lots of stuff should cancel out.

Amar said:
Firstly I calculated the 5x smaller gravity ( g/5 ) which resulted in 1,962 m/s^2
Then I converted the 6370km to meters ( 6 370 000 m )
Then, using my approach sqrt( 1,962 x 6370000 ) / ( 6,67 x 10^-11 x 6x10^24 ) i ended up with sqrt 18383940 / 40,02 x 10^23 which ended up as sqrt 0.0000000459368816 and I found it useless to continue as the result is obviously wrong
You seem to have this upside-down, or something.

Amar said:
g=gamma x M/(R+h)^2
Right.
Amar said:
h = sqrt (g x R)/(gamma x M)
Wrong. Have another go at that algebra. If you get the same wrong result, please post all your steps.

haruspex said:
Right.

Wrong. Have another go at that algebra. If you get the same wrong result, please post all your steps.
After a rather long period of trying different variations I figured it out. It resulted in h = [ sqrt (G x M) / g ] - R
NascentOxygen said:
You seem to have this upside-down, or something.

This really helped out since it was kinda upside-down...

So thank you everyone for leading me to the right solution ( and I'm really grateful for not getting a straight answer because I feel I've improved my algebra lots ).

One more question : RUber and gneill mentioned the method of canceling out, I did try that but I got R^2=(R-h)^2 and I was stuck there. I'm pretty sure I messed up somewhere in the process but could you guys explain this one to me since I want to understand this method too ( mainly because it sounds easier ).

Once again thank you very much ! :D

Amar said:
RUber and gneill mentioned the method of canceling out, I did try that but I got R^2=(R-h)^2 and I was stuck there.
You should have gotten that 5 R^2 = (R+h)^2, since you are looking for the gravity to be 1/5 of what it is on earth.

RUber said:
g_1=gamma x M/(R+0)^2
g_2 = gamma x M/(R+h)^2
g_1/g_2 = 5.
Lots of stuff should cancel out.
##g_1/g_2 =\frac{ \frac{ \gamma M }{R^2}}{\frac{ \gamma M }{(R+h)^2}}=\frac{(R+h)^2}{R^2}=5##
This will give you a quadratic equation in h to solve.

RUber said:
You should have gotten that 5 R^2 = (R+h)^2, since you are looking for the gravity to be 1/5 of what it is on earth.##g_1/g_2 =\frac{ \frac{ \gamma M }{R^2}}{\frac{ \gamma M }{(R+h)^2}}=\frac{(R+h)^2}{R^2}=5##
This will give you a quadratic equation in h to solve.

Ahh I see now. I forgot about the 5 and didn't quite understand that concept. Thank you very much :)

What is "The height at which the gravity acceleration is 5x smaller"?

The height at which the gravity acceleration is 5x smaller refers to the altitude at which the gravitational force acting on an object is five times weaker than it is at the Earth's surface.

Why does gravity acceleration decrease with height?

Gravity acceleration decreases with height because the further an object is from the Earth's surface, the less gravitational force it experiences. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects.

What is the formula for calculating the height at which gravity acceleration is 5x smaller?

The formula for calculating the height at which gravity acceleration is 5x smaller is h = (Re * 5) - Re, where h is the height, Re is the radius of the Earth, and 5 is the factor by which the gravity acceleration is smaller.

How does the height at which gravity acceleration is 5x smaller affect objects?

The height at which gravity acceleration is 5x smaller affects objects by decreasing their weight and making them feel lighter. This is why astronauts in space experience weightlessness, as they are further from the Earth's surface where gravity acceleration is weaker.

Is there a specific height at which gravity acceleration is 5x smaller?

Yes, there is a specific height at which gravity acceleration is 5x smaller. This height is approximately 8,100 km above the Earth's surface, also known as the geostationary orbit. At this height, objects experience a gravitational acceleration that is 5 times weaker than it is at the Earth's surface.