The hybridization of P in phosphate

In summary, the book deals with the following:-The use of quantum chemical methods in main group chemistry-The use of hybridization to explain the electron distribution in main group elements-The use of resonance structures to explain the electron distribution in main group elements
Compaq
My query is concerning the hybridization of P in Phosphate (PO43-)

I'd like to draw the Lewis dot structure here, but I'm not sure if that's possible. So I drew up some things on my whiteboard, and took a few pictures, there's all the info you need.

Look at the left image first, thank you :)

So, to summarise (look at images first), is it correct to say that the P in phosphate is sp3d hybridized, the way I argued on the board?

It's just, last year me and an other chemistry student came across this problem, and we weren't able to explain how P could have so many e- in bonding. But, recently we had a lecture on hybridization and related stuff. The sp3d hybridization allows P to have 10 e- around itself, exactly the same way as in PCl5

I just want to know, and now I think I do :)

Regards
Chemistry Student :)
-Compaq

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,477
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 4,515
Chemistry news on Phys.org

Compaq;3220784 So said:
3[/SUP]d hybridized, the way I argued on the board?

It is never correct to assume d-orbitals contributing to hybrids in main group compounds. This is known for - I would guess - at least 40 years now. The d-orbitals are both energetically too high and too diffuse for hybridization in main group compounds. In cases like PCl_5 you have to use either resonance structures or equivalently non-orthogonal hybrid orbitals.
See, e.g. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1380-7323(99)80022-3

Last edited by a moderator:
The double bond is one sigma bond and one pi bond. Only p orbitals can form pi bonds. P in phosphate still have 10 electrons, 8 of which are involved in sigma bonds, two of which involved in the pi bond.

If P is sp3 hybridized, then how do we explain that there are 10 electrons around P? There will be two electron that aren't accounted for? Or am I being stupid? The oxygen atom involved in the double bond is sp2 hybridized. One electron of one of the hybridized 2p orbital forms the pi bond with one of the hybridized 3p orbital of P.

Can someone please explain the whole hybridization process? Perhaps this is above a general chemistry course, but as I'm studying chemistry I want to know :)

-Compaq

Compaq said:
The double bond is one sigma bond and one pi bond.
Sigma/Pi separation is an approximation for planar molecules in molecular orbital theory. In valence bond theory (=taking electron correlation into account) it does not hold.
If P is sp3 hybridized, then how do we explain that there are 10 electrons around P? There will be two electron that aren't accounted for?
-Compaq
You can start from P^+ (having 4 valence electrons) and 4 O^- (having 1 valence electron). The bonds in PO_4^3- are all equal and have a highly ionic character.

A more modern description of bonding in main group elements is:

Quantum Chemical Methods in Main-Group Chemistry
T. M. Klapötke and A. Schulz with an invited chapter by R. D. Harcourt
J. Wiley, Chichester, 1998

Klapoetke has also written a very good book on general main group chemistry, however, I think it is only available in German.

Hello Chemistry Student,

Thank you for your inquiry about the hybridization of P in phosphate (PO43-). Based on the Lewis dot structure you provided, it is correct to say that the P in phosphate is sp3d hybridized. This means that the P atom has a total of 10 electrons around it, which is consistent with the octet rule.

The sp3d hybridization allows for the formation of five bonds, which is why P can have 10 electrons around it in compounds such as PCl5 and PO43-. This is due to the presence of five electron groups around the central P atom, resulting in a trigonal bipyramidal molecular geometry.

I'm glad that you were able to connect your previous confusion with the hybridization concept and understand the reason behind the number of electrons around P in phosphate. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Sincerely,

Scientist

1. What is the hybridization of P in phosphate?

The hybridization of P in phosphate is sp3. This means that the phosphorus atom is surrounded by four electron groups, resulting in a tetrahedral arrangement.

2. How does the hybridization of P in phosphate affect its chemical properties?

The sp3 hybridization of P in phosphate allows it to bond with four other atoms or molecules, making it a versatile molecule in chemical reactions. It also gives phosphate a negative charge, making it an important ion in biological processes.

3. What is the purpose of hybridization in phosphate?

The hybridization of P in phosphate allows for the formation of strong covalent bonds between phosphorus and other atoms, making it an essential molecule in biological molecules such as DNA and ATP.

4. How does the hybridization of P in phosphate differ from other elements?

The hybridization of P in phosphate is unique due to the presence of lone pairs on the phosphorus atom, resulting in a tetrahedral arrangement. Other elements may have different hybridizations depending on their electron configurations.

5. Can the hybridization of P in phosphate change?

Yes, the hybridization of P in phosphate can change depending on the environment and the atoms it is bonded to. For example, in some biological processes, phosphate can undergo sp2 hybridization, resulting in a trigonal planar arrangement.