Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The identity thief in your office

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.identitytheft.com/article/are_photocopiers_a_risk [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2
    I guess you should encrypt your files prior to photocopying them.

Seriously, you should assume that anything you do on an electronic device including voice calls is being or could be monitored by anyone. Don't copy your tax returns at work. Don't print ransome notes at Kinkos. Don't phone the bank and tell them to have the money ready in ten minutes because you'll be coming by to rob it. In each case you could regret it.

4. Apr 19, 2010 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, this is really surprising and scary!

5. Apr 19, 2010 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, the copiers retain the files, everyone knows that, or should. People have been fired for things they copied or printed. I don't use the work printer for anything but work. Everything else is done on my home printer, from my home computer.

I've actually found resumes being sent to competitors on work printers. :rofl:

6. Apr 20, 2010 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I am a little confused by terminology here (in this discussion).

A network printer is what one sends one's electronic files to.
    A photocopier is what one uses to make copies of original hardcopies.

Until this point, I had always assumed a photocopier was, at least by default, a stand-alone device.

7. Apr 20, 2010 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Photocopiers can scan the image and keep a copy. Depends on how sophisticated the machine is.

8. Apr 20, 2010 #7
    multifunction machines are the norm now, even for home copiers. in one machine, you typically get a scanner, printer, and sometimes fax machine. the "copier" is basically just printing the image the digital scanner sees.

9. Apr 20, 2010 #8
    There are multifunctional photocopiers that are set up with an office network and they print, scan, photocopy, etc. They're full-sized photocopier-type machines.

10. Apr 20, 2010 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Even regular large photocopies (the kinko type) have hard drives.
    It's the only way they can print multiple collated copies.

Most makers claim that the drive is wiped after each job (it's the only way they can sell to government/military/financial) and in a busy copy place it would be overwritten by other work very quickly.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook