The intersection of two varieties, each of which is a complete intersection

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of homogeneous and linear polynomials in a polynomial ring, as well as the possibility of them forming a complete intersection. The example of a quartic "segre" surface in P^4 is given to show that the variety cut out by all polynomials in S_1 and S_2 is not necessarily a complete intersection.
naturemath
Consider f_1,..., f_k, g_1,..., g_l in a polynomial ring C[x_1,...,x_M], where f_i's are homogeneous of degree 2 while g_j's are linear polynomials.

Suppose the codim of the variety cut out by S_1 = {f_1,..., f_k} is k while the codim of the variety cut out by S_2 = {g_1,..., g_l} is l.

Assume any or all of the following:
* {f_i, g_j} is a complete intersection for some i and for some j;
* {f_i, g_j} is a complete intersection for any i and for any j;
* S_1 union {g_j} is a complete intersection for any g_j in S_2;
* {f_i} union S_2 is a complete intersection for any f_i in S_1;

Isn't there a result somewhere in a commutative algebra book or in some paper which says that the variety cut out by all of S_1 union S_2 is a complete intersection?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
This rather old question has the answer "no". In P^4 take a general pair of quadric hyper surfaces, which intersect in a quartic "segre" surface containing 16 lines. Now take two general hyperplanes each containing that line. Then the two quadrics cut a complete intersection, the segre surface, and the two hyperplanes cut a complete intersection, a plane, and each hyperplane cuts the segre surface in a complete intersection, a curve with two components, one a cubic and one the given line. Each quadric moreover also cuts the plane in a curve, since no smooth quadric in P^4 contains a plane. The 4 varieties taken together however do not define a complete intersection, since they meet in more than a finite set of points, namely they all contain the given line.

Last edited:

1. What is the intersection of two varieties?

The intersection of two varieties refers to the common points or solutions shared by both varieties. It is the set of points that satisfy the equations of both varieties simultaneously.

2. What does it mean for a variety to be a complete intersection?

A variety is considered a complete intersection if it can be defined by a minimal number of equations. In other words, the variety can be expressed as the intersection of a specific number of hypersurfaces in a higher-dimensional space.

3. How is the intersection of two complete intersection varieties calculated?

The intersection of two complete intersection varieties can be computed by finding the common solutions to the equations defining each variety. This can be done using various mathematical methods such as elimination and substitution.

4. Can the intersection of two complete intersection varieties be a complete intersection itself?

Yes, it is possible for the intersection of two complete intersection varieties to also be a complete intersection. However, this is not always the case and it depends on the specific equations and varieties involved.

5. What is the significance of studying the intersection of two varieties that are complete intersections?

Studying the intersection of two complete intersection varieties can provide insight into the structure and properties of both varieties. It can also aid in solving systems of equations and understanding the geometry of algebraic varieties.