Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The inverse of uniform random variable

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1
    Hi all
    I'm looking for solving this problem to find the closed form solution if it is possible:

[itex]Y=\frac{1}{X}[/itex]

Where X is uniform random variable > 0
    I know the expected value for X which is [itex]\overline{X}[/itex]

is there a method to find the expected value of Y which is [itex]\overline{Y}[/itex] in term of [itex]\overline{X}[/itex] as closed form solution?

I know how to calculate it easily using numerical solution, but I need it for modeling problem and I need the analytical solution.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2011 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey giglamesh and welcome to the forums.

What is your statistics and probability background like?

A standard intro year course in university will give you the tools to solve this problem. Do you know about transformation theorems in statistics?

http://www.ncur20.ws/presentations/2/216/presentation.pdf

4. Nov 4, 2011 #3
    hello chiro
    Thanks for replying

I have a background with Random Variables and stochastic processes
    I've read about MLE once but never use it in my applications, I remember that it is used to estimate the random variable from sample data vectors.

which is not what I'm looking for.

Maybe I didn't explain my problem well:

X is random variable I know only it's expected variable
    Y=1/X is a random variable I need to know it's expected value using only E[X]

I'll check the transformation methods you mentioned, I know there are Laplace and Z-transform, I've used Z-transform but it didn't give the required result.

I'll try to search more.
    Thanks

5. Nov 4, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Aah, that changes it. Given a continuous random variable X with pdf [itex]f_X[/itex] and a function g, we can always calculate

[tex]E[g(X)]=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{g(x)f_X(x)dx}[/tex]

So in your case, you need to calculate

[tex]E[1/X]=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{\frac{f_X(x)}{x}dx}[/tex]

So if X is uniform(1,2) for example, then

[tex]E[1/X]=\int_1^2{\frac{1}{x}dx}=\log{2}[/tex]

6. Nov 4, 2011 #5
    hi micromass
    Actually X is discrete I need to say: X is not uniform but Y=1/X is constructed as a uniform distribution from X, that means gives that X=3 then Y=1/3
    P(y)=E[1/X]
    I know only X then I need to get E[1/X] using only E[X] which is known but the distribution of X is not known.

Thanks for replying

7. Nov 4, 2011 #6
    I think what chiro said makes sense for me right now

X 0 1 2 3 ..........H
    P(Y|X=i)=1/i 1 0.5 1/3 .......1/H

From the second line I'll try to estimate the PMF of Y using MLE, I'll try it

8. Nov 4, 2011 #7
    I just closed this thread, I will open new one and try to make it more clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook