1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The kinetic energy formula for lagrange doesnt make sense

1. Nov 28, 2014 #1

grandpa2390

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a real basic question I am sure. Maybe I just missed something.
    so in the book, t = the kinetic energy . only for a pendulum, they add kinetic energy of x dot squared, plus kinetic energy of y dot squared.

2. Relevant equations
    T = 1/2 m v^2
    a^2 + b^2 = c^2
    3. The attempt at a solution
    This doesn't make sense. At first I thought maybe they were splitting velocity into x and y components.
    but T(velocity) is not equal to T(x component of velocity) + T(y component of velocity). if I am traveling in a straight line at 5 m/s, 1/2m(5)^2 is not equal to 1/2m(3)^2 + 1/2m(4)^2. what is the xdot and ydot a measure of

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you a betting man?

4. Nov 28, 2014 #3

grandpa2390

Gold Member

No I am not. And I get the feeling you are about to tell me that it's a good thing. lol because 3^2 +4^2 does equal 5^2 .... this is what I get for forcing myself out of bed to study... sry for the inconvenience. It made sense earlier when I was awake. Then I take a nap. force myself up, and I am writing a formula that says exactly what I said wasn't making sense. lol.

They only hope I have to hold onto is that my professor says that you aren't a physicist unless you occasionally write something stupid.

edit: I know what i was thinking. the variable itself v being plugged in, and then just replacing it with components added. x and y. 3 + 4 != 5 but i guess thats why v is squared in kinetic energy. so that the kinetic energy of components can be added. you cant say .5m(x+y)^2 but u can say the other

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted