1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The line tangent to a curve, no derivative

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let (x0,y0) be a point on the graph f(x) = x2 for x0 not equal to 0. Find the equation of the line tangent to the graph of f at that point by finding a line that intersects the cure in exactly one point. Do not use the derivative to find this line.

2. Relevant equations

f(x) = x2
    y=mx+b
    (y1-y2) = m(x1-x2)

3. The attempt at a solution

The way I would normally approach this problem is to use the derivative. But that is a syntax error in this problem; however, it does not stop me from knowing that the slope should depend on x0, where the slope of some x0 should be 2*x0.

At the same time, any point on the graph can be given in the form (x0,(x0)2). I tried to force through on this point, and get an equation (y- (x0)2) = m(x-x0). I would think I need to solve for m, but then there are too many variables, and I get too many possible solutions.

Also, I tried to set x2 = m*x + b, to see the set of solutions. That is unhelpful, there are solutions to that set of equations that are not tangents to the graph, but instead are secants.

I believe that my general approach to the problem is wrong; I am missing something. I would love any advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your second approach is the right one. The curve is y=x^2, the line is y=m*(x-x0)+x0^2 (by forcing it to go through the right point as you did in the first part). So set x^2=m*(x-x0)+x0^2. Solve for x. For a general value of m, you will get two solutions (one, of course, is x=x0). What's the other one? Now find the value of m where those two solutions are equal.

4. Oct 29, 2008 #3
    Thank you sir.

Playing with the algebra starting with x^2 = m*(x-x0) +x0^2, I get:

(x-x0)(x+x0)=m*(x-x0), which simplifies to

m = x + x0 <=> x = m -x0. The other solution of x is x = x0 given by Dick.

Setting the two equal to each other is:

m - x0 = x0 Therefore,

m = 2*x0.

Which is what the answer should be. Brilliant, thank you again.

Question: To get that one solution is x = x0, did you notice that both the left and right hand sides of the equation in
    (x-x0)(x+x0) = m*(x-x0) are equal if both are 0, which happens when x=x0, or is there another way to get that?

5. Oct 29, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That, and that you deliberately set the tangent equation up so that at x=x0, the two would be equal.

6. Oct 29, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This was, by the way, Fermat's method for finding tangents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?