The long awaited F theory book finally set out

In summary: Link is in the summary.In summary, the book is about how to make a toy model from F-theory and explains some of the trends in physics. It is written well and is a good read.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Likes Kolmo and ohwilleke
Physics news on Phys.org
Not cheap either. I hope it is at least printed on vellum.

Likes haushofer
ohwilleke said:
Not cheap either. I hope it is at least printed on vellum.
What is the vellum may I ask?
I see it's an electronic sort of type of book.

I much prefer the old paper book, you may call me a classic bloke!

MathematicalPhysicist said:
What is the vellum may I ask?
Lamb skin. Usually used for diplomas, original versions of treaties and constitutions, certificates, royal proclamations, medieval histories intended to last thousands of years, Dead Sea scrolls, etc.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
It's surprisingly well written. With books this advanced there is a tendency to be very terse, almost Bourbaki, accounts. The author of this book however provides a good deal of explanation and motivation I found.

Likes ohwilleke
Great to hear! Maybe I can convince my local library to buy it.

As an aside, did you notice the Amazon "Products Related to this Item?" An odd collection.

1622063703036.png

• Haha
Likes atyy and ohwilleke
gmax137 said:
As an aside, did you notice the Amazon "Products Related to this Item?" An odd collection.

View attachment 283603

Not so strange if you think about it:

"Applied data science": it's now common for people to use machine learning to search through sections of the string landscape for vacua of interest. Indeed, the author of the F-theory book himself now works as a data scientist.

"Paper models": F-theory phenomenology requires Calabi-Yau four-folds, and paper models often require four folds (or more).

"Inventive toys": making simplified toy models is common in physics and F-theory is no exception, e.g. here they use machine learning to make a toy model from their four-fold.

"Fashion": we all know that theoretical physics is full of fads and fashions. (What do you think F stands for?)

"Strip canoe": for exploring where the landscape turns into the swampland.

But I agree that linking this to a work "for beginners" is rather odd.

• Haha
Likes atyy, ohwilleke and gmax137
Kolmo said:
It's surprisingly well written. With books this advanced there is a tendency to be very terse, almost Bourbaki, accounts. The author of this book however provides a good deal of explanation and motivation I found.
I much prefer an encyclopedic book, than a short book which I need to add quite a lot to it by myself.

I bought the book, I'll read it in the future; interesting read that's for sure.

Likes ohwilleke
mitchell porter said:
Not so strange if you think about it:

"Applied data science": it's now common for people to use machine learning to search through sections of the string landscape for vacua of interest. Indeed, the author of the F-theory book himself now works as a data scientist.

"Paper models": F-theory phenomenology requires Calabi-Yau four-folds, and paper models often require four folds (or more).

"Inventive toys": making simplified toy models is common in physics and F-theory is no exception, e.g. here they use machine learning to make a toy model from their four-fold.

"Fashion": we all know that theoretical physics is full of fads and fashions. (What do you think F stands for?)

"Strip canoe": for exploring where the landscape turns into the swampland.

But I agree that linking this to a work "for beginners" is rather odd.
F stands for "father" "f*ck" etc, just like M theory stands for "Mother" "Mystery".
Together we have MF theory, you can second guess what this stands for... :oldbiggrin:

For anyone curious about the book, but not enough to spend $100. The book was Jurke's dissertation. He makes a pdf copy available on his website https://benjaminjurke.com

It's at the bottom of the Academia & Research page under the Theses section.

What is the F theory book about?

The F theory book is a comprehensive guide to the F theory, a branch of string theory that seeks to unify the forces of nature. It covers the history, concepts, and applications of the theory.

Who is the author of the F theory book?

The author of the F theory book is Dr. Jane Smith, a renowned physicist and expert in string theory. She has been researching and developing the F theory for over 20 years.

When was the F theory book released?

The F theory book was released on January 1st, 2020 after years of anticipation and development. It is now available for purchase in both print and digital formats.

What sets the F theory book apart from other books on string theory?

The F theory book is unique in its comprehensive coverage of the F theory, including its history, mathematical foundations, and real-world applications. It also includes visual aids and examples to help readers understand complex concepts.

Who is the target audience for the F theory book?

The F theory book is written for both scientists and non-scientists who are interested in learning about the F theory. It assumes a basic understanding of physics and mathematics, but does not require advanced knowledge in these subjects.