The long awaited F theory book finally set out

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Likes Kolmo and ohwilleke

Answers and Replies

ohwilleke
Gold Member
Not cheap either. I hope it is at least printed on vellum.

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Not cheap either. I hope it is at least printed on vellum.
What is the vellum may I ask?
I see it's an electronic sort of type of book.

I much prefer the old paper book, you may call me a classic bloke!

ohwilleke
Gold Member
What is the vellum may I ask?
Lamb skin. Usually used for diplomas, original versions of treaties and constitutions, certificates, royal proclamations, medieval histories intended to last thousands of years, Dead Sea scrolls, etc.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
Kolmo
It's surprisingly well written. With books this advanced there is a tendency to be very terse, almost Bourbaki, accounts. The author of this book however provides a good deal of explanation and motivation I found.

ohwilleke
Gold Member
Great to hear! Maybe I can convince my local library to buy it.

gmax137
Science Advisor
As an aside, did you notice the Amazon "Products Related to this Item?" An odd collection.

1622063703036.png

• Haha
Likes atyy and ohwilleke
mitchell porter
Gold Member
As an aside, did you notice the Amazon "Products Related to this Item?" An odd collection.

View attachment 283603

Not so strange if you think about it:

"Applied data science": it's now common for people to use machine learning to search through sections of the string landscape for vacua of interest. Indeed, the author of the F-theory book himself now works as a data scientist.

"Paper models": F-theory phenomenology requires Calabi-Yau four-folds, and paper models often require four folds (or more).

"Inventive toys": making simplified toy models is common in physics and F-theory is no exception, e.g. here they use machine learning to make a toy model from their four-fold.

"Fashion": we all know that theoretical physics is full of fads and fashions. (What do you think F stands for?)

"Strip canoe": for exploring where the landscape turns into the swampland.

But I agree that linking this to a work "for beginners" is rather odd.

• Haha
Likes atyy, ohwilleke and gmax137
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
It's surprisingly well written. With books this advanced there is a tendency to be very terse, almost Bourbaki, accounts. The author of this book however provides a good deal of explanation and motivation I found.
I much prefer an encyclopedic book, than a short book which I need to add quite a lot to it by myself.

I bought the book, I'll read it in the future; interesting read that's for sure.

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Not so strange if you think about it:

"Applied data science": it's now common for people to use machine learning to search through sections of the string landscape for vacua of interest. Indeed, the author of the F-theory book himself now works as a data scientist.

"Paper models": F-theory phenomenology requires Calabi-Yau four-folds, and paper models often require four folds (or more).

"Inventive toys": making simplified toy models is common in physics and F-theory is no exception, e.g. here they use machine learning to make a toy model from their four-fold.

"Fashion": we all know that theoretical physics is full of fads and fashions. (What do you think F stands for?)

"Strip canoe": for exploring where the landscape turns into the swampland.

But I agree that linking this to a work "for beginners" is rather odd.
F stands for "father" "f*ck" etc, just like M theory stands for "Mother" "Mystery".
Together we have MF theory, you can second guess what this stands for... :oldbiggrin:

websterling
Gold Member
For anyone curious about the book, but not enough to spend $100. The book was Jurke's dissertation. He makes a pdf copy available on his website https://benjaminjurke.com

It's at the bottom of the Academia & Research page under the Theses section.

Suggested for: The long awaited F theory book finally set out

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views