The Mathematical Structure of QM and the Stern Gerlach

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Ahmad Kishki
Messages
158
Reaction score
13
Many books in QM (eg: Sakurai) mention that the stern-gerlach experiment provides enough motivation for the mathematical structure of QM, Sakurai even mentions Gottfried's book. Point is, i didnt find Gottfried's book, so i am looking for other books that develop the math of quantum mechanics this way.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I sense you may be looking for a more experimental approach to QM. We had a discussion about that a while ago and the following book was mentioned:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/110706399X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It looks a very good book and may interest you.

I have to say though its not my preferred approach because I believe QM at rock bottom is simply an extension to probability theory:
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

But that's just me. Science is based on experiment - not how I prefer to look at things.

Thanks
Bill
 
bhobba said:
I sense you may be looking for a more experimental approach to QM. We had a discussion about that a while ago and the following book was mentioned:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/110706399X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It looks a very good book and may interest you.

I have to say though its not my preferred approach because I believe QM at rock bottom is simply an extension to probability theory:
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

But that's just me. Science is based on experiment - not how I prefer to look at things.

Thanks
Bill

Thank you. Your sense was right :) please recommend other books of this type so that i can have a couple of titles to check with the library :)