The Mathematical Structure of QM and the Stern Gerlach

In summary, the conversation is about the mathematical structure of quantum mechanics and the search for books that provide a similar treatment to the Stern-Gerlach experiment. The Feynman lectures and a book mentioned in a previous discussion are recommended as potential resources. The speaker also shares their own belief that quantum mechanics is an extension of probability theory and mentions a discussion thread that may be helpful for finding more experimental books on the topic.
Ahmad Kishki
Many books in QM (eg: Sakurai) mention that the stern-gerlach experiment provides enough motivation for the mathematical structure of QM, Sakurai even mentions Gottfried's book. Point is, i didnt find Gottfried's book, so i am looking for other books that develop the math of quantum mechanics this way.

Physics news on Phys.org
I sense you may be looking for a more experimental approach to QM. We had a discussion about that a while ago and the following book was mentioned:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/110706399X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It looks a very good book and may interest you.

I have to say though its not my preferred approach because I believe QM at rock bottom is simply an extension to probability theory:
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

But that's just me. Science is based on experiment - not how I prefer to look at things.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
I sense you may be looking for a more experimental approach to QM. We had a discussion about that a while ago and the following book was mentioned:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/110706399X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It looks a very good book and may interest you.

I have to say though its not my preferred approach because I believe QM at rock bottom is simply an extension to probability theory:
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

But that's just me. Science is based on experiment - not how I prefer to look at things.

Thanks
Bill

Thank you. Your sense was right :) please recommend other books of this type so that i can have a couple of titles to check with the library :)

1. What is the mathematical structure of quantum mechanics?

The mathematical structure of quantum mechanics is based on a set of principles and equations that describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. These principles include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, and superposition, and the equations involve complex numbers, matrices, and operators.

2. How does the Stern Gerlach experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The Stern Gerlach experiment was one of the first experiments that provided evidence for the quantum nature of particles. It demonstrated the quantization of spin angular momentum, which is a fundamental property of particles described by quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of spin in quantum mechanics?

Spin is a fundamental property of particles that is described by quantum mechanics. It is a form of angular momentum that is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values. Spin plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior and interactions of particles at the subatomic level.

4. How do matrices and operators play a role in the mathematical structure of quantum mechanics?

Matrices and operators are essential tools in the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics. They are used to represent physical quantities, such as position, momentum, and angular momentum, and their corresponding operators are used to calculate the outcomes of measurements on quantum systems.

5. Can the mathematical structure of quantum mechanics be used to make predictions?

Yes, the mathematical structure of quantum mechanics has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately predict the behavior of subatomic particles. It has been used to make predictions about the outcomes of experiments, such as the probabilities of particles being found in certain states or locations.