Commutator of two vector fields

In summary, the commutator of two vector fields is the action of the vector gradient on a scalar function.
Pencilvester
Hello PF, I was reading Carroll’s definition of the commutator of two vector fields in “Spacetime and Geometry”, and I’m having (I think) a simple case of notational confusion.
He says for two vector fields, ##X## and ##Y##, their commutator can be defined by its action on a scalar function, ##f(x^{\mu})##:$$[X,Y](f) \equiv X(Y(f)) - Y(X(f))$$This is the first time I’m seeing a vector “acting on a function”. What exactly is the nature of this action? I’m very familiar with a vector’s action on a one-form, so my only guess is that this is a shorthand way of saying “a vector acting on the gradient of a function”, so then ##X(Y(f))## would really be ##X ( \text{d} ( Y ( \text{d} f ) ) )##. Is that right? Or am I way off?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pencilvester said:
Hello PF, I was reading Carroll’s definition of the commutator of two vector fields in “Spacetime and Geometry”, and I’m having (I think) a simple case of notational confusion.
He says for two vector fields, ##X## and ##Y##, their commutator can be defined by its action on a scalar function, ##f(x^{\mu})##:$$[X,Y](f) \equiv X(Y(f)) - Y(X(f))$$This is the first time I’m seeing a vector “acting on a function”. What exactly is the nature of this action? I’m very familiar with a vector’s action on a one-form, so my only guess is that this is a shorthand way of saying “a vector acting on the gradient of a function”, so then ##X(Y(f))## would really be ##X ( \text{d} ( Y ( \text{d} f ) ) )##. Is that right? Or am I way off?
The vector is the gradient in a sense. It is at it's heart the behavior of ##f## along ##X##, a directional derivative if you like. And ##[X,Y]## describes how far the endpoints of a rectangle vary if you go along ##X## followed by ##Y## or the other way around. Commuting vector fields mean the two path end at the same point; only that we haven't considered certain points in the above equation where the directional derivatives are evaluated, so the image is a bit sloppy because of the abstraction of the point. Otherwise we would have had ##X_p(f) = X|_p(f)= D_p(X)(f)## or several other notations.

I've tried to be a bit more accurate here: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/pantheon-derivatives-part-ii/
and you can find an example here: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/journey-manifold-su2mathbbc-part/ or in part 4 of the series in the first link.

I find it hard to believe that Carroll has not mentioned vectors as derivative operators. The typical order of introduction is vectors as derivatives, one-forms, and then gradients and exterior derivatives. Typically you would not say that vectors act on one-forms, rather that one-forms are linear maps from vectors to scalars (and vice versa). The differential ##df## is a one-form such that ##Xf = df(X)##. I usually try to avoid the parentheses in ##Xf##, but that is just notational.

Orodruin said:
I find it hard to believe that Carroll has not mentioned vectors as derivative operators. The typical order of introduction is vectors as derivatives, one-forms, and then gradients and exterior derivatives.
As far as I can remember, he explained the rationale behind using ##\partial _{\mu}## as the natural coordinate basis for vectors (and how, therefore, vectors can be thought of as directional derivatives), then he had a little bit about the dual basis for one-forms, and then the commutator. I simply did not bring that connection between vectors and directional derivatives over to the commutator.
Orodruin said:
The differential ##df## is a one-form such that ##Xf = df(X)##.
Okay, I think I’m a little shaky on the distinction between the differential ##df## and the gradient ##\text {d} f##. What is the difference between ##df (X)## and ##\text {d} f (X)##?

Pencilvester said:
As far as I can remember, he explained the rationale behind using ##\partial _{\mu}## as the natural coordinate basis for vectors (and how, therefore, vectors can be thought of as directional derivatives), then he had a little bit about the dual basis for one-forms, and then the commutator. I simply did not bring that connection between vectors and directional derivatives over to the commutator.
You should read the insights. The first link and especially part 1 of that series could be helpful. Have you seen the notation
$$
d_pf (v) = \langle \nabla f(p) , v \rangle \text{ or } \nabla \times F
$$
These are strong indications, that the gradient ##\nabla## needs to be a vector. At least at some point. Without such a point, the entity of all possible gradients is a vector field. And it is applied to a function.
Okay, I think I’m a little shaky on the distinction between the differential ##df## and the gradient ##\text {d} f##. What is the difference between ##df (X)## and ##\text {d} f (X)##?
None. There are dozens of ways to write the differential. Usually there is also a point ##p## of evaluation involved: the location of the tangent: ##d_pf (X)=X_p(f)=X_pf## and without that point, i.e. ##df(X)=Xf## we have all possible tangents at ##f##.

fresh_42 said:
None. There are dozens of ways to write the differential.
Okay, thanks!
fresh_42 said:
Have you seen the notation
$$
d_pf (v) = \langle \nabla f(p) , v \rangle \text{ or } \nabla \times F
$$
I haven’t, but they seem intuitive enough, except for the ##\nabla \times F##. I thought that was a notation for curl.

It is curl, and it uses the gradient as a vector.

Oh, gotcha, I was thinking you were meaning ##d_pf (v) = \langle \nabla f(p) , v \rangle = \nabla \times F##, but you were asking if I was familiar with the curl notation in addition to the notation for the one-form/vector contraction, yes?

Yes. The gradient is a vector expressed in the basis ##\dfrac{\partial}{\partial x_i}## and we can evaluate this at a point or apply it to a function. O.k. the other way around.

1. What is a commutator of two vector fields?

A commutator of two vector fields is a mathematical operation that measures the difference between the two fields at any given point. It is denoted by [X,Y] and is calculated by taking the difference between the two fields at a point and then multiplying it by the partial derivatives of the fields with respect to each other at that point.

2. What is the significance of the commutator in vector calculus?

The commutator is important in vector calculus because it measures the non-commutativity of vector fields. In other words, it tells us how much the order of vector operations matters. It is also used in Lie algebra, which is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of vector fields.

3. How is the commutator related to the concept of parallel transport?

The commutator is closely related to parallel transport, which is the process of moving a vector along a curve without changing its orientation. The commutator measures the failure of parallel transport, as it tells us how much the vector field changes when it is transported along a closed loop.

4. Can the commutator of two vector fields be zero?

Yes, the commutator of two vector fields can be zero in certain cases. For example, if the two vector fields are parallel or if they are commuting fields (i.e. they commute under the vector field operation), then their commutator will be zero. However, in general, the commutator is not zero and can provide useful information about the behavior of vector fields.

5. How is the commutator used in physics?

The commutator is commonly used in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics, to study the properties of physical systems. In quantum mechanics, the commutator of two operators is related to the uncertainty in their measurements. The commutator also plays a role in the study of symmetries and conservation laws in physics.