The midnight ride of Sarah Palin.

• News
  • Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary, Michele Bachmann made an embarrassing flub in NH when she said the very first shots of the Revolutionary War were fired in that great state. She later took to her Facebook page to defend the flub.
Jimmy Snyder
My liberal teachers always told me that Paul Revere rode from Boston toward Lexington and Concord to warn the minutemen that the British were coming. Boy did they ever get it wrong. What actually happened was this. Paul was coming home from a tea party in Boston when he overheard the British regulars talking about capturing the weapons stores of the minutemen. Paul, patriot though he was, was not the sharpest knife in the chadelier. He got up on his horse and rode away from Boston where the British were, toward Lexington where the minutemen were, with the purpose of warning the British, who were coming to take away the minutemen's weapons, that the minutemen had weapons. Got that? Good, because the next part gets confusing. The minutemen themselves were in a hurry to get the Constitution approved and amended so that they could have second amendment rights. That's why they kept ringing the Liberty Bell. When the British ... Did I mention that everyone in this story was British and that Revere was an insurgent as well as a patriot? When the British heard that bell, or bells as they used to say in those days before arithmetic, they knew that Revere was right. Or they would have known except that Revere, who was doing his best to avoid detection by the British, was captured before he could complete his ride. Therefor was able to warn them as he had planned. Unfortunately, they let him go so he was able to continue on to Lexington. When he got there, there weren't any British to warn. In his embarrasment and confusion he blurted out to the minutemen that the British were coming. Actually, what he said was that the regulars were coming, remember everyone was British at that time. This incidental detail has been blown out of all proportion and paraded around as it if were the purpose of his ride by Longfellow and the mainstream liberal press in order to take away our right to bear arms.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sigh ... morons make SUCH easy targets. You should stop making fun of the mentally handicapped.

What have you overdosed, Jimmy?

Jimmy, you forgot to say that Revere had to ride all the way to NH, where Concord and Lexington are actually located.

Palin/Bachman! What a ticket!

turbo-1 said:
Jimmy, you forgot to say that Revere had to ride all the way to NH, where Concord and Lexington are actually located.

What does Bachman have to do with this tale of twisted words?

WhoWee said:
What does Bachman have to do with this tale of twisted words?
Bachman is a Revolutionary War scholar just like Palin, and when she visited NH, she went on about how the very first shots of the Rev War were fired in that great state. Hey! NH, MA... Easy to mix them up if you never paid attention in history class.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110313/pl_yblog_theticket/michele-bachmann-makes-an-embarrassing-flub-in-nh

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
Bachman is a Revolutionary War scholar just like Palin, and when she visited NH, she went on about how the very first shots of the Rev War were fired in that great state. Hey! NH, MA... Easy to mix them up if you never paid attention in history class.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110313/pl_yblog_theticket/michele-bachmann-makes-an-embarrassing-flub-in-nh

At least she has a sense of humor?
"Bachmann later took to her Facebook page to defend the flub. "So I misplaced the battles Concord and Lexington by saying they were in New Hampshire. It was my mistake," she wrote. "And by the way... That will be the last time I borrow President Obama's teleprompter!""

I guess Borek didn't hear about Palin's midnight ride.

Palin had this to say.

He who warned the British that they weren't going to be taking away our arms by ringing those bells and, um, making sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that, uh, we were going to be secure and we were going to be free.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20110603/od_yblog_upshot/palin-flubs-explanation-of-paul-reveres-ride

People have been vandalizing wikipedia to change the story to match Palin's.

Evo said:
With Paul ringing bells and firing warning shots to warn the British troops that they couldn't take our guns away? What a great grasp of our history! She and Bachmann should compete to see if they are smarter than 5th-graders.

Judging by the title of the thread, I thought Mrs Palin had made a quick trip to..Jerusalem.
Apparently, I was wrong.

Evo said:

Yep. These things rarely make headlines here. And vice versa - I guess you have never heard about Palikot and swine head, even if everyone here have seen it on TV.

turbo-1 said:

As a youngster, I was told how the British lined up like ten pins with their bright red coats and bright white crosshairs and allowed the minutemen to fire at them from behind rocks and trees and that's why we won the battle. When I took the tour of the battleground, the tour guide gave me a different story. The muskets of those days were hopelessly inaccurate. The only effective way to use it was to fire off a volley and hope against hope to hit something. Then assuming you had time, reload and fire again. They lined up one row kneeling in front for the first volley and another row standing behind for the second. For the most part, that was it for the fire power, the rest was bayonettes and hand to hand. I was told that if you were fired at from sufficiently far away, you could catch the ball in your hand without injury. Single shots fired by individuals were ineffective.

Concord is also the home of Ralph Waldo Emerson and his friend David Thoreau and the location of Walden Pond. If you have a chance to get there, I recommend it and that you take the tour. Just remember, it's in the one in Mass, not NH.

Borek said:
Yep. These things rarely make headlines here. And vice versa - I guess you have never heard about Palikot and swine head, even if everyone here have seen it on TV.
Paul Revere's ride was immortalized by Longfellow in a verse form that makes it pretty easy to remember the salient points of the story.

http://poetry.eserver.org/paul-revere.html

turbo-1 said:
With Paul ringing bells and firing warning shots to warn the British troops that they couldn't take our guns away? What a great grasp of our history! She and Bachmann should compete to see if they are smarter than 5th-graders.

Again with Bachman? Let's hope she gets to debate Biden this time - maybe he can explain how FDR addressed the nation after the 1929 crash.:wink:

Does anyone else find it frightening that people wanting to be President and are top contenders, no less, have the educational equivelant of a hamster?

Borek said:
What have you overdosed, Jimmy?
Here is a famous photograph of Revere racing toward Lexington. You can see a farmer, awakened by the racket, running toward Revere to tell him that the British are back in Boston and he's going the wrong way if he wants to warn them. If you look carefully you can almost hear the bells in the church tower. One bell if Paul lands in the sea, and two if on the opposite shore he be.

http://arthistory.about.com/od/educator_parent_resources/ig/picturing_america/pa_neh_05.htm"

Jimmy Snyder said:
The muskets of those days were hopelessly inaccurate. The only effective way to use it was to fire off a volley and hope against hope to hit something. Then assuming you had time, reload and fire again. They lined up one row kneeling in front for the first volley and another row standing behind for the second. For the most part, that was it for the fire power, the rest was bayonettes and hand to hand. I was told that if you were fired at from sufficiently far away, you could catch the ball in your hand without injury. Single shots fired by individuals were ineffective.
The colonists were using British-made Brown Bess Muskets from their militia armories, so they were about as well-armed as the British regulars. And yes, it was ranked firing in volleys, much the same as the bulk of the fighting in the Civil War.

Evo said:
Does anyone else find it frightening that people wanting to be President and are top contenders, no less, have the educational equivelant of a hamster?

I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to run for President.

Evo said:
My wife is terrified that we have enough ignorant voters to give them a real shot at it. After all, we ended up with a Tea Party governor who is busy trying to dismantle some of the real gains we have made over the years, like banning billboards on our highways and instating a bottle bill that requires deposits on beverage bottles and cans. Our roadsides looked like crap before those laws were passed.

Jimmy Snyder said:
They lined up one row kneeling in front for the first volley and another row standing behind for the second.
Sorry, of course not. A single volley from the two rows.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Here is a famous photograph of Revere racing toward Lexington. You can see a farmer, awakened by the racket, running toward Revere to tell him that the British are back in Boston and he's going the wrong way if he wants to warn them. If you look carefully you can almost hear the bells in the church tower. One bell if Paul lands in the sea, and two if on the opposite shore he be.

http://arthistory.about.com/od/educator_parent_resources/ig/picturing_america/pa_neh_05.htm"
Ahahahaha.

Evo said:

You don't know how much. Maybe turbo has a point...be a wining contestant on http://www.5thgradertvshow.com/" and become a president.

Note: I linked the program just in case Sarah is viewing this. Just being helpful.

Actually, I can understand some of Palin's comments. She'd just visited some historic sites regarding Revere's ride and she seemed to be repeating whatever random snippets of information that slipped through during an event where her main focus was on cameras and reporters instead of what the tour guides were saying. While Revere's ride wasn't intended to warn the British, the rest of the alert system (bells, lanterns, other riders, etc) would have made it obvious to the British that the secret march out of Boston was secret no longer (but secrecy was never the intent of the alert system).

I just don't understand why she tried to defend her comments the way she did later on after listening to her own comments. She should have a) not rambled aimlessly about something she hadn't listened to very well or b) at least corrected her first version to the correct version with perhaps even an admission that she was little distracted during the tour.

And, she should be careful how she defines the intent of Second Amendment rights. Both her initial comments and her follow-up comments sound like the intent of the Second Amendment was to protect the militia's weapons stores in Concord vs to protect individual gun rights, since getting the heavy weapons that the British believed were stored in Concord was one of the goals of the march.

She should have laughed and said something to the effect of "you know what I mean - it's been a long day" and made lite of it - rather than defend the statement.

I don't think that would have helped. If you remember the whole North Korea/South Korea thing, she corrected herself immediately (as in the next sentence) afterwards - but that correction never seemed to be mentioned, and when the audio was circulated, it was cut right before the correction.

WhoWee said:
She should have laughed and said something to the effect of "you know what I mean - it's been a long day" and made lite of it - rather than defend the statement.
She made it much worse for herself by claiming that someone shouted out a "gotcha" question. She was simply asked about historical sites that she had visited in the Boston area, then she launched into her fantasy about Paul Revere ringing bells and firing warning shots to alert the British. Revere, Dawes, and Prescott were actually quite circumspect, to avoid alerting Loyalists and British patrols, though they were eventually all captured.

Evo said:

Really? Do we actually have to resort to strawmen arguments and start denigrating the noble hamster now?

And to think that when I saw the title of this thread I thought it meant a different kind of midnight ride of Sarah Palin. I can't decide which is worse, the fact that Sarah Palin actually thinks she is up for the job or the number of voters who think she is up for the job.

daveb said:
Really? Do we actually have to resort to strawmen arguments and start denigrating the noble hamster now?

To see this sort of species-ism on these boards is appalling. And the mods do nothing about it!

KingNothing said:
To see this sort of species-ism on these boards is appalling. And the mods do nothing about it!
It is pretty insulting to hamsters to see such comparisons being made. They are pretty friendly and smart for rodents. My cousin's daughter got a hamster-ball for her pet for Christmas, and he was happily charging all over the house soon after. Hamsters learn pretty fast.

Averagesupernova said:
And to think that when I saw the title of this thread I thought it meant a different kind of midnight ride of Sarah Palin.

Oh. You're bad. :rofl:

Averagesupernova said:
And to think that when I saw the title of this thread I thought it meant a different kind of midnight ride of Sarah Palin. I can't decide which is worse, the fact that Sarah Palin actually thinks she is up for the job or the number of voters who think she is up for the job.

Actually, I think it's driving the Left crazy to know that all of the attacks on Palin will only serve to keep her in the news - free to attack the President at will on the economy and his policies. She is free to influence elections - and make a ton of money doing it. I think she's having a great time and regardless of what she says (IMO) the people who like her will continue to like her and the people who don't - won't.

WhoWee said:
Actually, I think it's driving the Left crazy to know that all of the attacks on Palin will only serve to keep her in the news - free to attack the President at will on the economy and his policies. She is free to influence elections - and make a ton of money doing it. I think she's having a great time and regardless of what she says (IMO) the people who like her will continue to like her and the people who don't - won't.
Sarah Palin is no more effectual than the Kardashian sisters. Famous for being famous and attracting press means nothing. Kim's butt is better than Sarah's AND Kim has s $2M engagement ring. What's Sarah's come-back? The media need to start ignoring camera-hogs that have no intellect or content.

She's my favorite Ameerican.

turbo-1 said:
Sarah Palin is no more effectual than the Kardashian sisters. Famous for being famous and attracting press means nothing. Kim's butt is better than Sarah's AND Kim has s $2M engagement ring. What's Sarah's come-back? The media need to start ignoring camera-hogs that have no intellect or content.

Like I said - it drives them crazy - IMO.:rofl: