1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The minimum applied force before an object slips off wall

1. Apr 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A horizontal force F is applied to hold a block, mass m = 1.7 kg against a vertical wall. The coefficients of kinetic and static friction between the block and wall are 0.81 and 0.87 respectively. F is gradually reduced until the block falls. Just before it falls, what is the magnitude of the total contact force Fc exerted by the block on the wall, and what is the angle θ it makes with horizontal? (+ve for above, -ve for below the horizontal).

2. Relevant equations
    μsN=Ff
    F=mg

3. The attempt at a solution

So, if weight surpasses friction, it slips.

μsN<W

N<W/μs

N=1.7*9.8/0.87=19N approximately

I have no clue what it is referring to when it asks me to find the angle. The contact force seems to be horizontal so angle is 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The total contact force consists of the frictional force and the normal force.

4. Apr 9, 2016 #3
    Is this directed at the 2nd or 1st part of the question? I assume the first part is correct then?

If the contact force is vertical, then the angle it makes with the horizontal is 90 degrees?

5. Apr 9, 2016 #4
    You need to find the angle of the net force. 2 Forces are considered contact forces: Friction and normal force here that is what he meant

6. Apr 9, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Both parts. You have to think of the normal force and frictional force as adding up, vectorially, to a single contact force. The question is aksing for its magnitude snd direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted