Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Modern Picture of Evolution

1. Dec 16, 2009 #1
    I know there have been debates on the roles of punctuated equilibrium, phyletic gradualism, and punctuated gradualism.

It would seem to me intuitively that evolution would be a dynamic process combining mechanisms, but of course intuition can be misleading.

Is there a mainstream consensus on this question?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2009 #2
    I'm probably being awfully biased here, but I'd say punctuated equilibrium is what most respectable biologists would agree upon as of the past few years.
  4. Dec 16, 2009 #3
    Does that imply that the gradual models either do not happen or happen very rarely?
  5. Dec 16, 2009 #4
    I'd agree that it's likely a combination of theories.

Evolutionary change can be occurring continuously throughout the existence of a given species. These changes will eventually "build up" to the point where some event; such as a rapid series of small genetic changes, a massive change, or an environmental factor, will force a speciation event.

In this example, you have gradualism and punctuated equilibrium both coming into play.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook