Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The most suitable batteries for 4x5V motors 1.2A

1. Jul 12, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I'm looking for rechargeable batteries for 4x 5V motors of nominal current draw 1.2A and peak current up to 3A to power my robot.
    I'm wondering about 2x3.7V Li-Ion 6800mAh, 5x1.2V 3000mAh NiHM batteries or 2x polymer 6000mAh batteries.
    It should be price friendly.
    What is you opinion?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What sort of motors? Are they servo motors that have electronics in them that needs 5V ?

4. Jul 12, 2015 #3
  5. Jul 12, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you have a charger already? What can it do?

6. Jul 12, 2015 #5
  7. Jul 12, 2015 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok what voltage does the PWM controller need?

That charger board will only charge one Lipo cell at upto 1A. (It won't charge NiMH cells). If you plan on using two Lipo cells in series you will have to reconfigure them for charging.

You can get this to work but I hesitate to give advice as messing with li batteries can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

8. Jul 12, 2015 #7
  9. Jul 13, 2015 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What I would do is join the forum at the top of this page..

http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=97#.VaPesmdRHmR

On the "shipping list" and in this vid ...

https://opensourcehardwaregroup.com/assemble-dfrobot-pirate-4wd-mobile-platform/

..they mention a 5 * AA cell holder so it looks like the platform is designed for 5 NiMh cells (5 * 1.2V = 6V) or 5 Alkaline Cells (5 * 1.5V = 7.5V).

I think I would start with the recommended battery holder and 5 AA rechargeable NiMH cells as they are easy to charge, safe and reasonably cheap. If you want more capacity (more run time) ask on one of the forums what others are using. They probably use 2 Lipo cells (2 * 3.7V = 7.4V). However the wiring will need to be modified to suit your charger. The one you mentioned is for a single cell not two in series.

Also mentioned on the shipping list is a "PH-2.0 to DC-2.2 adapter". I don't know what that is but it sounds like might be some sort of DC-DC Voltage converter. You might want to ask on their forum what that is for.

10. Jul 14, 2015 #9
    I was wondering about NiMH at the first time but I was advised that my current draw is 0.8C whilst normall battery likes up to 0.2C. At the moment I use Alkaline cells but it is depleted within unreasonably short period of time. On the other hand Lipo seems me as overkill for my project.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook