The motion of a particle in the central force

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
GeoStudy

Homework Statement



I just need a hint. So we are given:

F = -kr

We are asked:

Show that:

(a) The orbit is an ellipse with the force center at the center of the ellipse.

Homework Equations



I guess we break it up into its components:

The Attempt at a Solution



m d2x/dt2 = -kx => x = Acos(ωt + βx)

m d2y/dt2 = -ky => y= Bsin(ωt + βy)

where βx = βy = 0
 
Physics news on Phys.org
GeoStudy said:

Homework Statement



I just need a hint. So we are given:

F = -kr

We are asked:

Show that:

(a) The orbit is an ellipse with the force center at the center of the ellipse.

Homework Equations



I guess we break it up into its components:

The Attempt at a Solution



m d2x/dt2 = -kx => x = Acos(ωt + βx)

m d2y/dt2 = -ky => y= Bsin(ωt + βy)

where βx = βy = 0
Yes, except why assume the phase constants are zero?