The origin of spin orbit coupling

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Dirac equation from the relativistic expression of kinetic energy, using the inclusion of electric and magnetic potentials. The first question asks for clarification on why the potentials are included in a specific way, and the second question asks for hints on how to reach the final equation. The answer to the first question is that including the potentials in this manner is standard in the derivation of the Dirac equation. To reach the final equation, one needs to know what alpha and beta are and use the identity (sigma dot A)(sigma dot B) = A dot B + i(sigma dot (A cross B)). Better derivations of the spin-orbit coupling can be found in textbooks such as Sakurai and N
amjad-sh
I have read in the internet that "One naturally derive the dirac equation when starting from the relativistic expression of kinetic energy:

##\mathbf H^2=c^2\mathbf P^2 +m^2c^4## where ##\mathbf P## is the canonical momentum.
Inclusion of electric and magnetic potentials ##\phi## and ##A## by substituting ##\mathbf P -εA##in ##\mathbf P## and ##\mathbf H -ε\phi## in ##\mathbf H## we get ##(\mathbf H -ε\phi)^2=(c\mathbf P -εA)^2+m^2c^4##

1-My first question is: Why potential and electric potentials are included in that way, I mean ##\mathbf P -εA##in ##\mathbf P## and ##\mathbf H -ε\phi## in ##\mathbf H##?

Then the text I am reading continued to the part where he stated the dirac equation which is:

##(\mathbf H-c\sum_{\mu}p_{\mu}-\beta mc^2)\psi=0##

Now with the fact that## [\mathbf H -ε\phi -cα.(\mathbf p -ε/c\mathbf A) -\beta mc^2][\mathbf H -ε\phi +cα.(\mathbf p -ε/c\mathbf A) +\beta mc^2]\psi=0##

Using the approximation that the kinetic and the potential energies are small compared to mc^2, two components of the spin function can be neglected and the equation above take the form :

##[1/2m(\mathbf p -ε/c\mathbf A)^2 +ε\phi -(ε\hbar/2mc)\sigma \cdot \mathbf B -(ε\hbar/4m^2c^2)\mathbf E \cdot \mathbf p -(ε\hbar/4m^2c^2)σ \cdot (\mathbf E \times \mathbf p)]\psi=W\psi##
Where W +mc^2 is the total energy.

2-My second question is how we can reach the second formula, If somebody can give me some hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
What internet was that? Mine says

No results found for "naturally derive the dirac equation when starting from the relativistic expression of kinetic".​

I downloaded this chapter.It is in the first page.

Attachments

• 10_chapter8.pdf
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,377
It says "One naturally arrives at the Dirac equation when starting from the relativistic expression for the kinetic energy" . Hard to find an author, though.

Anyway, taking ##e\phi## and ##e\vec A## into account as shown is standard (naturally :smile:), see e.g here or here

Likes amjad-sh
BvU said:
It says "One naturally arrives at the Dirac equation when starting from the relativistic expression for the kinetic energy" . Hard to find an author, though.

Anyway, taking ##e\phi## and ##e\vec A## into account as shown is standard (naturally :smile:), see e.g here or here

Thanks,this was helpful.
I got the answer of my first question, can you give me some hints to reach the last equation?

amjad-sh said:
I got the answer of my first question, can you give me some hints to reach the last equation?
Do you know what ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are? You are going to need that, along with the identity
$$
(\mathbf{\sigma} \cdot \mathbf{A})(\mathbf{\sigma} \cdot \mathbf{B}) = \mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{B} + i \mathbf{\sigma} \cdot (\mathbf{A} \times \mathbf{B})
$$

By the way, you can find much better derivations of the spin-orbit coupling than the document you posted. Check out instead one of
Sakurai and Napolitano, Modern Quantum Mechanics
Bransden and Joachain, Physics of Atoms and Molecules
Friedrich, Theoretical Atomic Physics

Likes amjad-sh and BvU

1) What is spin orbit coupling?

Spin orbit coupling is a phenomenon in physics where the spin of an electron is coupled to its orbital motion around the nucleus of an atom. This results in the splitting of atomic energy levels and is an important concept in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.

2) How does spin orbit coupling affect atomic properties?

Spin orbit coupling can affect atomic properties such as energy levels, magnetic moments, and spectral lines. It can also influence chemical bonding and the behavior of electrons in different states.

3) What is the origin of spin orbit coupling?

The origin of spin orbit coupling can be traced back to the fundamental electromagnetic interaction between the spin and orbital motion of an electron. This interaction is mediated by the electric field of the atomic nucleus and can be described by the Dirac equation.

4) Why is spin orbit coupling important in condensed matter physics?

Spin orbit coupling plays a crucial role in the study of condensed matter systems, such as metals, semiconductors, and magnetic materials. It can lead to interesting phenomena like spin orbit torque, topological insulators, and spin Hall effect, which have potential applications in spintronics and quantum computing.

5) Can spin orbit coupling be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, spin orbit coupling can be controlled and manipulated through external fields, such as electric and magnetic fields, or by engineering the crystal structure of a material. This allows for the possibility of controlling spin states and developing new technologies based on spin orbit coupling.