1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The potential at points around a cone

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"A conical surface (an empty ice-cream cone) carries a uniform surface charge [tex]\sigma[/tex]. The height of the cone is h, as is the radius of the top. Find the potential at the centre of the top, taking infinity as reference point." - Griffiths

My result for the potential differs from the answer's. Can someone please check my solution

2. Relevant equations

[tex]V = \iint_S \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{\sigma}{x} dS[/tex], where [tex]x[/tex] is the distance from the source to the point.

3. The attempt at a solution

My diagram is in the attached picture.

First off, I used cylindrical coordinates with the equation z = r, z > 0 to graph the cone
    I found [tex]dS = \sqrt{2}zdA[/tex]

The distance from any point on the cone to the origin is [tex]\sqrt{2} z[/tex], so using the cosine law,
    [tex]x = \sqrt{2z^2-2hz+h^2}[/tex]

So we have

[tex]V = \int_0^h\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{2z^2-2hz+h^2}} \sqrt{2}z d\theta dz=\frac{\sigma h}{4\epsilon}\ln(2\sqrt{2}+3)[/tex]

Answer: [tex]V = \frac{\sigma h}{2\epsilon}\ln(1+\sqrt{2})[/tex]

thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Identity! :smile:

erm :redface: … 2ln(1 + √2) = ln(3 + 2√2) :wink:

4. Jan 13, 2010 #3
    :eek: oh my!
    thankyou tiny-tim

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook