How Do You Calculate the Electric Potential of a Square Plate?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Hamal_Arietis
Messages
156
Reaction score
15
Homework Statement
Find the electric potential at a height d above the center of a square sheet
(side 2a) carrying a uniform surface charge σ.
Relevant Equations
[tex] σdS=σdxdy[/tex]
[tex] V=\int \frac{\sigma dS}{r}[/tex]
I found out the equation of electric potential, that is
[tex]V=\int_{-a}^a \int_{-a}^{a} \frac{σdxdy}{4 \pi \epsilon_0\sqrt{x^2+y^2+d^2}}=\int_{0}^a \int_{0}^{a} \frac{σdxdy}{\pi \epsilon_0\sqrt{x^2+y^2+d^2}}[/tex]

but I couldn't calculate the integral.

It seems convenient if we use the polar coordinate, that is, assume that
[tex]x=rcos\theta, y=rsin\theta[/tex]
then
[tex]\frac{\pi\epsilon_0 V}{\sigma}=\int_{0}^{\pi/4} \int_{0}^{\frac{a}{cos\theta}} \frac{rdrd\theta}{\sqrt{r^2+d^2}}+\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \int_{0}^{\frac{a}{sin\theta}} \frac{rdrd\theta}{\sqrt{r^2+d^2}}[/tex]

But I find it difficult to calculate.
I also think another method that is find the electric field $$\vec E$$ then
[tex]V=\int \vec E \vec dl[/tex]

but it seems hard to integrate too .
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the double integral is obscuring it.
Could you solve ##\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{x^2+c^2}}##?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hamal_Arietis
haruspex said:
Perhaps the double integral is obscuring it.
Could you solve ##\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{x^2+d^2}}##?
$$\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{x^2+d^2}}=log |x+\sqrt{x^2+d^2}|+C$$

but my fomular is
$$ \int\frac{rdr}{\sqrt{r^2+d^2}}=\sqrt{r^2+d^2} +C$$

the problem is when I replace ##r=\frac{a}{cos\theta}##, the integral became more complicated.
the double integral became
$$\int_0^{\frac{\pi}4} (\sqrt{\frac{a^2}{cos^2\theta}+d^2}-d)d\theta$$
 
I don't think its good idea to involve polar coordinates because the region of integration is a square ##[0,a]\times[0,a]## in the plane z=0 (xy plane). So i believe cartesian coordinates are just fine.

However when i tried this integral at wolfram i get a not so simple expression
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+1/sqrt(x^2+y^2+d^2)dxdy

The first step (integration with respect to x or y) should be easy and I see haruspex post is toward this direction.

$$\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+d^2}}=\ln {|x+\sqrt{x^2+y^2+d^2}|}+c=f(y)$$

The second step $$\int f(y) dy$$ is where I guess difficulties rise and it doesn't have a nice simplified expression.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hamal_Arietis
Have you solved for the potential a distance ##d## above the center of a line of charge of length ##L##? It's a pretty commonly covered problem in intro physics. You can use that result and reduce this problem to a one-dimensional integral.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hamal_Arietis
vela said:
Have you solved for the potential a distance ##d## above the center of a line of charge of length ##L##? It's a pretty commonly covered problem in intro physics. You can use that result and reduce this problem to a one-dimensional integral.
Hasn't that been achieved in the first line of post #3?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hamal_Arietis and Delta2
I tried it. And I found the answer. by considering ##d=d_0## as the potential origin. The potential is
$$V=\frac{\sigma}{\pi\epsilon_0}(a\log{(\frac{d_0^2+a^2}{d^2+a^2}})^\frac{1}{2}+d_0\tan^{-1}(\frac{a}{d_0})-d\tan^{-1}(\frac{a}{d}))$$

It seems correct because when I calculate the limit of V when ##a## into infinite, then
$$V=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}(d_0-d)$$

Thanks for helping
vela said:
Have you solved for the potential a distance ##d## above the center of a line of charge of length ##L##? It's a pretty commonly covered problem in intro physics. You can use that result and reduce this problem to a one-dimensional integral.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2