The pressure sand exerts on a particular area.

In summary, the conversation discusses the pressure exerted by grains of sand falling onto a sticky surface at a specific rate and height. The equation P=F/A is mentioned, along with the possibility of treating the problem like an ideal gas due to the light weight of the sand particles. The use of the full form of F=ma and the change in mv per second is also brought up.
Physics321
Grains of sand of mass 3.0x10^-3 g each, fall from a height of 0.8 m on a sticky surface at a rate of 50 grains per second per cm^2. What pressure does this shower of sand exert on the surface, assuming that air resistance can be neglected?

I'm really not sure what angle to take here. I believe they are trying to get me to use the equation P=F/A, however, F=ma? and F/A=mv^2(N/V).

Am I suppose to treat this problem like an ideal gas, because the sand particles are so light?

In addition, should i use 0.0001 m^2 for the area since it is SI units?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Physics321! :smile:

Use the full form of F = ma … F = d/dt (mv) …

how much mv is changing per second? :wink:

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is defined as the force per unit area that a gas, liquid, or solid exerts on its surroundings. It is measured in units of pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

2. How is pressure affected by the amount of sand?

The pressure exerted by sand on a particular area is directly proportional to the amount of sand present. This means that as the amount of sand increases, the pressure also increases.

3. How does the density of sand impact pressure?

The density of sand does not have a direct impact on pressure. However, if the density of the sand particles is different, the pressure may vary as the particles may be able to pack more closely together, resulting in higher pressure.

4. Does the size of the sand particles affect pressure?

The size of the sand particles can have an impact on the pressure exerted on a particular area. Smaller particles can pack more closely together, resulting in higher pressure, while larger particles may have more empty space between them, resulting in lower pressure.

5. How does the depth of the sand affect pressure?

The depth of the sand does not have a direct impact on pressure, as pressure is dependent on the amount of sand and the surface area it is exerting force on. However, if the sand is in a container or confined space, the depth may impact the overall pressure due to the weight of the sand pressing down on the bottom of the container.