The proabability density of an electron

In summary, the conversation is discussing the probability of detecting an electron or neutron in a specific region on a graph. The question also asks for help in finding the value of 'a' using the given graph. The solution involves considering the integral of the probability function from negative to positive infinity.
worries

Homework Statement

The following is a graph of |(x)|^2

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14887&d=1217540634

Question is.

What is the probability that an electron will be detected ina 0.0010-cm-wide region at x = 0.50 cm? At x= 0.999 cm?
b) If 10^4 electrons are detected, how many are expected to land in the interval -0.30 cm - 0.30 cm.

Also, let's suppose that this was a graph for the |(x)|^2 of a neutron.
How you you find the value 'a' if it wasn't given?

Homework Equations

I know that Probability of landing at x = (probability density at x )* (length)
Also know that expected value = number of electrons * probability.

But I am having trouble putting these two together. Can some please show me how to do this question?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think the probability density at 0.50 cm is 0.5 cm^-1 (reading the graph, the slope is -1 so the y value seems to be 0.5 cm^-1)

So P(x) = 0.5 cm^-1* 0.0010 cm = 0.0005? But the answer is 0.005

And I have no idea how to find 'a' by using only the information from the graph.

Can someone help me with this whole concept?

Physics news on Phys.org
I meant graph of |psi (x)|^2

I think your graph's horizontal axis should be labeled in cm.

The slope of your probability density function on the positive-x side is positive one.

To find a, you need to consider the integral of your (or any) probability function from negative infinity to positive infinity.

1. What is the probability density of an electron?

The probability density of an electron is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of finding an electron at a particular location in space.

2. How is the probability density of an electron calculated?

The probability density of an electron is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the wave-like behavior of electrons in quantum mechanics.

3. What factors influence the probability density of an electron?

The probability density of an electron is influenced by the electron's energy level, the shape and size of the atom it belongs to, and any external forces acting on the electron.

4. Why is the probability density of an electron important?

The probability density of an electron is important because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of atoms, molecules, and materials. It also plays a crucial role in predicting chemical reactions and the behavior of electrons in various physical and chemical environments.

5. Can the probability density of an electron change?

Yes, the probability density of an electron can change depending on the electron's energy level and the external factors acting on it. It can also change over time as the electron moves through space.