1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The proabability density of an electron

1. Jul 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The following is a graph of |(x)|^2

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14887&d=1217540634

Question is.

What is the probability that an electron will be detected ina 0.0010-cm-wide region at x = 0.50 cm? At x= 0.999 cm?
    b) If 10^4 electrons are detected, how many are expected to land in the interval -0.30 cm - 0.30 cm.

Also, lets suppose that this was a graph for the |(x)|^2 of a neutron.
    How you you find the value 'a' if it wasn't given?

2. Relevant equations

I know that Probability of landing at x = (probability density at x )* (length)
    Also know that expected value = number of electrons * probability.

But I am having trouble putting these two together. Can some please show me how to do this question?

3. The attempt at a solution

So I think the probability density at 0.50 cm is 0.5 cm^-1 (reading the graph, the slope is -1 so the y value seems to be 0.5 cm^-1)

So P(x) = 0.5 cm^-1* 0.0010 cm = 0.0005? But the answer is 0.005

And I have no idea how to find 'a' by using only the information from the graph.

Can someone help me with this whole concept?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2008 #2
    I meant graph of |psi (x)|^2

4. Jul 31, 2008 #3
    I think your graph's horizontal axis should be labeled in cm.

The slope of your probability density function on the positive-x side is positive one.

To find a, you need to consider the integral of your (or any) probability function from negative infinity to positive infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?