Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I The problem with measuring short distances

1. Apr 11, 2017 #1
    When we try to measure shorter and shorter distances. eventually we have to put in so much energy into such a small space that it creates a black holes, thus makes it impossible see inside. So there is a limitation to how small distances we can measure.

Exacly how does this happen? Why do we need so much energy to measure a very short distance? How is the black hole created?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2017 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you give a reference for where you learned this?

4. Apr 11, 2017 #3
    If you fast forward to 21m and 15 seconds in the following video, the speaker describes why there is a limit on how massive a elementary particle can be before it turns into a black hole.

(I realized after I posted this that it may not be what the original poster was referring to)

5. Apr 11, 2017 #4
    I'm sorry. I don't remember the references. I'm not sure what to search for either.

6. Apr 11, 2017 #5

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

He doesn't say why; he just asserts it. To the best of my knowledge, it's not a proven theorem; it's just a plausible speculation in quantum gravity that most particle physicists think will be confirmed when we actually have a theory of quantum gravity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted