How certain is the uncertainty principle?

In summary: We can't predict with 100% certainty what will happen when we approach an infinitesimally small value. This is what I meant by approaching an infinitesimally small value. It's possible that this could create a black hole, but we don't know for sure.
dsaun777
How accurate of a measurement can we make on the position of a particle? I heard you need more and more energy to get a measurement more accurate. Would the energy needed to be infinitesimal accurate create a black hole upon. Measurement?

Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
An infinitesimal is not a finite number.

Likes topsquark and Vanadium 50
dsaun777 said:
I heard you need more and more energy to get a measurement more accurate.
From where? Please give a reference.

Likes topsquark
PeterDonis said:
From where? Please give a reference.
Leonard susskind

dsaun777 said:
Leonard susskind
That's not a reference, it's just a name. What specific textbook, paper, etc?

Likes topsquark
PeterDonis said:
That's not a reference, it's just a name. What specific textbook, paper, etc?
I can't remember the exact paper or lecture yet. I will look for it and find it, not without some uncertainty...

PeroK said:
An infinitesimal is not a finite number.
I meant approaching an infinitesimally small value.

Weren't you a math major? You should know that a big plate of words is less helpful than an equation. And an undefined pointer to this big mess of words less so.

Can you write down your thoughts using equations?

Likes dsaun777, vanhees71, berkeman and 2 others
dsaun777 said:
How accurate of a measurement can we make on the position of a particle? I heard you need more and more energy to get a measurement more accurate. Would the energy needed to be infinitesimal accurate create a black hole upon. Measurement?
If I understand it right you mean that, just like in fourier transform, the more accurate you want to decompose a signal in time, the higher energy or frequenecy components to you need in the spectrum.

Similarly the more you want to determined position the larger momentum range do you need to get the information to confine the position. And this implies also focusing alot of energy to almost a point, and at some point general relativity my suggest that a microscopic black hole may be created, which for other reasons than heisenbergs HUP limits our the ability of an external observer to probe into the small end of the continuum.

But as long as we have no unification of QM and GR, there is no definitive answer to this, as classical GR mainly refers to cosmological scale blackholes, not microscopic ones. QM, GR or both might need to be adjusted here. So it's a valid question I think.

/Fredrik

Likes dsaun777
Yes, this is basically the situation I was referring to. I apologize for not making this statement more mathematically but I don't really see the need to. Despite my meager background in mathematics, I thought equations weren't necessary to start the discussion. But I would like to see mathematics also.

We are pretty certain in uncertainty.

1. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa.

2. Who discovered the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

3. How does the uncertainty principle relate to everyday life?

The uncertainty principle is only applicable to the microscopic world of particles, so it does not have a direct impact on everyday life. However, it does have implications for technologies such as MRI machines and electron microscopes.

4. Is the uncertainty principle a proven concept?

Yes, the uncertainty principle has been extensively tested and confirmed through numerous experiments in quantum mechanics.

5. Can the uncertainty principle be violated?

No, the uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been supported by countless experiments. It cannot be violated.