1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The product of absconverg series and bounded seq is absolutely convergent

1. Nov 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume [tex]\sum_{1}^{\infty} a_n[/tex] is absolutely convergent and {bn} is bounded. Prove [tex]\sum_{1}^{\infty} a_n * b_n[/tex] is absolutely convergent

2. Relevant equations
    A series is absolutely convergent iff the sum of | an | is convergent

A series is convergent if for every e there is an N and P such that for all n >= N, for all p >0,
    | S_{n+p} - S{n-1} | < e. S_k is the kth partial sum, and this basically says that the sequence of partial sum must be cauchy.

3. The attempt at a solution

because the series of an is abosultely convergent | |a_{n+p}| - |a_{n-1}| | < e
    and bn is bounded means | b_n| < M

[tex] \left| \left| a_{n+p} b_{n+p} \right| - \left| a_{n-1}b_{n-1} \right| \right| \leq \left| a_{n+p} b_{n+p} \right| + \left| a_{n-1} b_{n-1} \right| \leq M \left| a_{n+p} \right| + M \left| a_{n-1} \right| < \frac{Me}{2M} + \frac{Me}{2M} = e [/tex]

done

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2008 #2
    I'm confused...do you have a question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?