The Product of two Unitary Matrices is Unitary Proof

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Messages
1,094
Reaction score
63

Homework Statement


Show that the product of two nxn unitary matrices is unitary. Is the same true of the sum of two nxn unitary matrices?

Homework Equations


Unitary if A†A=I
Where † = hermitian conjugate
I = identity matrix.

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
We have the condition: (AB)†(AB)=I
I can then apply summation notation for the elements of the matrices

[itex](AB)^†(AB) = \Big( \sum_{k=1}^j(AB)^†_{ij}(AB)_{ij} \Big)[/itex]Now, the idea, I suppose, is to manipulate the sum so that we see A^† *A and B^†*B and we can conclude that since A and B are unitary, then A*B is unitary.

This seems coherent, and beautiful.

I assume summation notation is needed to make this distinction. Correct?

And if this is so, I will undo the hermitian conjugate first and then manuever the pieces of the elements.
Correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let me write out my proof for checking:

1. [itex](AB)^†(AB)_{ij} = \Big( \sum_{k=1}^j(AB)^†_{ij}(AB)_{ij} \Big)[/itex]
by element notation
2. [itex](AB)^†(AB)_{ij} = \Big( \sum_{k=1}^j(AB)^*_{ji}(AB)_{ij} \Big)[/itex]
by hermitian conjugate definition
3. [itex](AB)^†(AB)_{ij} = \Big( \sum_{k=1}^jA^*_{ji}B^*_{ji}A_{ij}B_{ij} \Big)[/itex]
By proven earlier property that (AB)*=A*B* and earlier proposition that ABij =AijBij
4.[itex](AB)^†(AB)_{ij} = \Big( \sum_{k=1}^jA^*_{ji}A_{ij}B^*_{ji}B_{ij} \Big)[/itex]
By operations, since we are dealing with components
5.[itex](AB)^†(AB)_{ij} = \Big( \sum_{k=1}^jI_{ij}I_{ij} \Big)[/itex]
By earlier conditions stating these are two unitary matrices
6. Therefore I_ij = I_ij

And walouh! First part, done.

Any errors in my thinking?