Is SU(n) a Group Under Matrix Multiplication?

• Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group Proof
In summary: It is the identity of group theory. It's a part of the definition of SU(n). You don't need to show it. But you have to mention it. The same goes for the existence of the inverse element. What you have to show is that the inverse element is a unitary matrix. You don't need to show that the inverse element exists. But you need to mention it. Otherwise you would have a unitary matrix without inverse.In summary, the set of all ##n \times n## unitary matrices with unit determinant forms a group, known as the Special Unitary group SU(n). The group is closed under matrix multiplication, associative, and has the identity matrix as its identity element. Additionally, every unitary matrix
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

Show that the set of all ##n \times n## unitary matrices with unit determinant forms a group.

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For two unitary matrices ##U_{1}## and ##U_{2}## with unit determinant, det(##U_{1}U_{2}##) = det(##U_{1}##)det(##U_{2}##) = 1.

So, closure is obeyed.

Matrix multiplication is associative.

The identity matrix is unitary with unit determinant.

For a unitary matrix ##U_{1}## with unit determinant, 1 = det(##U_{1}U_{1}^{-1}##) = det(##(U_{1}##)det(##U_{1})^{-1}##) = det(##U_{1})^{-1}##).

Therefore, the inverse exists.

Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first version was better. You just had to add that 1 is unitary and unitary matrices are invertible.

How does the fact that 1 is unitary prove anything? :frown:

Same goes for the fact that the unitary matrices are invertible.

failexam said:
How does the fact that 1 is unitary prove anything? :frown:

Same goes for the fact that the unitary matrices are invertible.
You need to have 1 inside the group. And you showed that the inverse is unitary. What you did not show was, that the inverse exists at all. Of course it does, since det U cannot be zero. (As I said, it was almost perfect already. These 2 facts I mentioned are a little sophisticated I admit. But in a strong sense it has to be mentioned.)

Do I need to have 1 in the group because it is the identity element? Is that what you mean?

failexam said:
Do I need to have 1 in the group because it is the identity element? Is that what you mean?
Yes. I meant the unity matrix with 1. It all depends on your definition of SU(n). If you require SU(n) ⊂ GL(n) to be "the set of all invertible (n x n) matrices that ..." then you're done with the inverse element by showing it is unitary. If you require SU(n) ⊂ M(n) to be "the set of any (n x n) matrices that ..." then it's not clear a priori that unitary matrices are invertible. Perhaps U^-1 doesn't exits. You perfectly have done the hard part and showed that if it exists, then it has to be unitary, i.e. within the group. The existence hasn't been mentioned. I mean there are matrices that cannot be inverted.
The existence of the unitary matrix, the 1 in GL(n) is clear. Of course it is also unitary so 1 is even in SU(n). Just mention it. Otherwise you would have a 1 but not as part of the group. It has to be - an clearly is - in the group.

Related to Is SU(n) a Group Under Matrix Multiplication?

1. What is SU(n)?

SU(n) is the special unitary group of n-by-n unitary matrices with determinant 1. In simpler terms, it is a group of matrices that preserve the length of a vector and have a determinant of 1.

2. Why is SU(n) considered a group?

SU(n) satisfies the four group axioms: closure, associativity, identity element, and inverse element. This means that when two matrices in SU(n) are multiplied, the result is also in SU(n), the order of multiplication does not matter, there exists an identity matrix in SU(n), and every element in SU(n) has an inverse in SU(n).

3. How is SU(n) different from U(n)?

SU(n) is a subgroup of U(n), the unitary group of n-by-n unitary matrices. The main difference is that SU(n) has an additional constraint of having a determinant of 1, while U(n) does not have this constraint. This means that all elements in SU(n) have a magnitude of 1, while elements in U(n) can have any magnitude.

4. What is the significance of SU(n) in mathematics?

SU(n) is important in mathematics because it is a fundamental group in the study of symmetry and Lie groups. It also has applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, where unitary matrices are used to represent physical transformations.

5. How is SU(n) related to other groups?

SU(n) is a special case of the general linear group GL(n,C), and is also a subgroup of the special linear group SL(n,C). It is also related to other Lie groups, such as SO(n) and Sp(n), through their representations. Additionally, SU(2) is isomorphic to the group of unit quaternions, which has applications in 3-dimensional rotations.