The properties of differnt substances is due to

• Thread starter fishfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, the conversation is about a student in grade 12 chemistry seeking help with a worksheet on chemical bonding. The worksheet requires them to explain the properties of different substances based on the type of bonding, the particles formed, and the resulting forces. The student is struggling with understanding the particles formed and the types of forces involved. They provide an example of glass and their understanding of its bonding, but are unsure about the particles and forces involved. They ask for clarification on how to determine the particles formed and the types of forces in different compounds.
fishfish
Hi, currently I'm in gr. 12 chemistry and we're on chemical bonding. I was wondering if someone could help me with this sheet that I got..

So it is listed that the properties of difernt substances is due to

1- type of bonding
2-the type of particles which form when the boding occurs
3-the types of forces which result between the particles

Then the sheet lists all these different materials and their properties and tells us to describe why the property results from 1, 2, and 3 in each case.

I understand 1, but 2 and three are confusing me because we havn't really gotten the proper learning material to fully understand it..

So an example would be: Glass (SiO2melts at 1700 C.

I put that it had a strong polar covalent bond ( with ED 1.54) , but for 2 and 3, i don't know what to put.. Can someone please explain to me how to know what particles result from what compound and what types of forces they mean?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Particles" here means atoms. What kind of interatomic forces have you studied?

I can explain that the properties of different substances are due to a combination of factors, including the type of bonding, the type of particles formed, and the forces between those particles.

1. Type of bonding: The type of bonding in a substance determines the strength and stability of its structure. For example, covalent bonds are strong and result in stable molecules, while ionic bonds are weaker and more easily broken. This can affect properties such as melting point, boiling point, and solubility.

2. Type of particles formed: When bonding occurs, different types of particles can be formed depending on the elements involved. For example, in the case of glass (SiO2), the particles formed are silicon and oxygen atoms bonded together in a tetrahedral structure. These particles are arranged in a regular pattern, giving glass its transparent and brittle properties.

3. Types of forces between particles: In addition to the type of bonding, there are also forces between particles that can affect the properties of a substance. These forces include London dispersion forces, dipole-dipole interactions, and hydrogen bonding. In the case of glass, the strong polar covalent bonds between silicon and oxygen atoms result in a high melting point, while the weak intermolecular forces between the particles allow it to easily shatter.

To understand the specific particles and forces present in a substance, it is important to have a strong understanding of the chemical structure and composition of the substance. This can be achieved through studying the periodic table, as well as learning about different types of bonds and their properties. As you continue to learn about chemical bonding, you will gain a better understanding of how to identify and explain the properties of different substances.

What are the properties of different substances?

The properties of different substances refer to the characteristics and qualities that distinguish one substance from another. These properties include physical properties such as color, shape, density, and state of matter, as well as chemical properties such as reactivity and ability to undergo chemical reactions.

What causes substances to have different properties?

The properties of different substances are due to their chemical composition and the arrangement of their atoms or molecules. The type and number of atoms, as well as the strength of their bonds, determine the unique properties of a substance.

How do scientists determine the properties of different substances?

Scientists use various techniques and experiments to determine the properties of different substances. These may include observing the substance's physical appearance, conducting chemical tests, and analyzing its behavior under different conditions, such as temperature and pressure.

Why is it important to understand the properties of different substances?

Understanding the properties of different substances is crucial for many reasons. It allows scientists to classify and identify substances, predict their behavior, and develop new materials and products. It also helps in various fields such as medicine, engineering, and environmental science.

Can the properties of different substances change?

Yes, the properties of substances can change under different conditions. For example, the melting point of a substance can be altered by changing the temperature or pressure. Chemical reactions can also change a substance's properties, resulting in the formation of new substances with different properties.