Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Properties of Jupiter's Core that give it magnetism?

1. Jan 22, 2012 #1
    Was wondering how Jupiter's hydrogen liquid core converts the energy to create a magnetic field? and How exactly do these properties behave?

I understand that my phrasing of the Question might be odd and may be wrong but i was just wondering how it worked

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2012 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

electron man, I cannot say how Jupiter's magnetic field is created. I can only say what we know about the earth's magnetic field through magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) and then try to apply the same physics to Jupiter.

"The Earth's magnetic field is mostly caused by electric currents in the liquid outer core, which is composed of highly conductive molten iron. A magnetic field is generated by a feedback loop: current loops generate magnetic fields (Ampère's circuital law); a changing magnetic field generates an electric field (Faraday's law); and the electric and magnetic fields exert a force on the charges that are flowing in currents (the Lorentz force)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_magnetic_field

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook