The Properties of Jupiter's Core that give it magnetism?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
electron_man
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Was wondering how Jupiter's hydrogen liquid core converts the energy to create a magnetic field? and How exactly do these properties behave?

I understand that my phrasing of the Question might be odd and may be wrong but i was just wondering how it worked
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
electron man, I cannot say how Jupiter's magnetic field is created. I can only say what we know about the Earth's magnetic field through magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) and then try to apply the same physics to Jupiter.

"The Earth's magnetic field is mostly caused by electric currents in the liquid outer core, which is composed of highly conductive molten iron. A magnetic field is generated by a feedback loop: current loops generate magnetic fields (Ampère's circuital law); a changing magnetic field generates an electric field (Faraday's law); and the electric and magnetic fields exert a force on the charges that are flowing in currents (the Lorentz force)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_magnetic_field