The rate at which the energy in the wire is transformed into kinetic

In summary, a potential difference of 50 mV is applied to a wire with a length of 9.70 m and cross-sectional area of 25.0mm^2, with a conductivity of 6.80 x 10^6 (ohm.m)^-1. Using the equations P = v^2/R and R = ρ (L/A), the power is calculated to be 4.38 x 10^(-2) W, which represents the rate at which the energy in the wire is transformed into kinetic and thermal energy. Despite your professor's disagreement, your calculations appear to be correct.
Pruddy

Homework Statement

A potential difference of 50 mV is maintained between the ends of a 9.70 m length of wire whose cross section area is 25.0mm^2. The conductivity of the wire is 6.80 x 10^6 (ohm.m)^-1. Determine the rate at which the energy in the wire is transformed into kinetic to thermal energy.

Homework Equations

P = v^2/R

ρ = 1/c

R = ρ (L/A)

Where ρ = resistivity
c = conductivity
A = area
L = length
R = Resistance
V = Voltage
P = power

The Attempt at a Solution

ρ = 1/6.80 x 10^6 = 1.471 x 10^(-7)

R = 1.471 x 10^(-7) * ( 9.70/0.000025 )
= 0.0570748
P = (50 x 10^-3)/0.0570748
= 0.0438021
= 4.38 x 10^(-2) W

This is my complete work. I think my workings are correct but I am not to sure of the answer. I will be glad if anyone can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have an amazing calculator

P = (50 x 10^-3)/0.0570748
= 0.0438021

I think you got the correct answer

Thank you.

My professor says my answer is wrong.

I also confirm your answer.

1. What is the rate at which the energy in the wire is transformed into kinetic?

The rate at which energy is transformed into kinetic energy depends on several factors, such as the material of the wire, the temperature, and the amount of current flowing through it. It can be calculated using the formula P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current.

2. How does the material of the wire affect the rate of energy transformation?

The material of the wire plays a crucial role in determining the rate at which energy is transformed into kinetic energy. Different materials have different resistances, which can affect the amount of energy lost as heat. This, in turn, affects the rate of transformation of energy into kinetic energy.

3. Does the temperature of the wire impact the rate of energy transformation?

Yes, the temperature of the wire can affect the rate of energy transformation. As the temperature increases, the resistance of the wire also increases, leading to more energy being lost as heat. This can slow down the rate at which energy is transformed into kinetic energy.

4. How does the amount of current flowing through the wire impact the rate of energy transformation?

The amount of current flowing through the wire directly affects the rate of energy transformation. Higher currents mean more energy being transferred, resulting in a faster rate of transformation into kinetic energy. However, this also means more heat being generated, which can affect the overall efficiency of the transformation process.

5. Is there a maximum rate at which energy can be transformed into kinetic energy in a wire?

Yes, there is a maximum rate at which energy can be transformed into kinetic energy in a wire. This is known as the power limit and is determined by the wire's material, length, and temperature. Going beyond this limit can lead to overheating and potential damage to the wire.