The Rate at which kinetic energy changes to thermal energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Pruddy
Messages
64
Reaction score
0
A potential difference of 50 mV is maintained between the ends of a 9.70 m length of wire whose cross section area is 25.0mm^2. The conductivity of the wire is 6.80 x 10^6 (ohm.m)^-1. Determine the rate at which the energy in the wire is transformed into kinetic to thermal energy.

2. Homework Equations
P = v^2/R

ρ = 1/c

R = ρ (L/A)

Where ρ = resistivity
c = conductivity
A = area
L = length
R = Resistance
V = Voltage
P = power


3. The Attempt at a Solution

ρ = 1/6.80 x 10^6 = 1.471 x 10^(-7)

R = 1.471 x 10^(-7) * ( 9.70/0.000025 )
= 0.0570748
P = (50 x 10^-3)/0.0570748
= 0.0438021
= 4.38 x 10^(-2) W

This is my complete work. I think my workings are correct but My instructor says my answer is wrong. I will be glad if anyone can help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you have kinetic energy? I think this should be electric energy.

There is a ^2 missing at P=, but the following line is correct. Units are missing everywhere :(.
I would express the final answer in mW or W. I agree with the result, however.