The relationship between F=ma and E=mc2

In summary: I just simplified it.In relativity, p = ##\gamma m v##, so ##dp/dt = (d \gamma/dt) m v + \gamma (dm/dt) v + \gamma m (dv/dt)##, where ##\gamma = 1/\sqrt{1-(v/c)^2)}##
Starlover
I'm wondering about the relationship between F=ma and E=mc2. Is it simply that, at relativistic speeds, E=mc2 replaces F=ma? (much like D = v x t is replaced by the Lorentz Contraction at relativistic speeds)

Physics news on Phys.org
##E=mc^2## is a special case, only valid when an object is not moving, of ##E=\gamma mc^2##. If you Taylor expand the ##\gamma##, the first term is ##mc^2## and the second is Newtonian kinetic energy, ##mv^2/2##.

In relativity, ##F=ma## is replaced by a rather more complex expression, which varies between ##F=\gamma ma## and ##F=\gamma^3ma## depending on the angle between the force being applied and the velocity of the object. Note that accelerations are not necessarily parallel to forces.

In other words, the two expressions you asked about don't have a lot in common except that they are both parts of kinematic theories. One describes an energy term that does not change, which is how it got overlooked in the development of Newtonian relativity. The other relates force and acceleration.

Likes bcrowell, jbriggs444 and Doc Al
Thank you, Ibix! I see I was way off. I'm glad I asked! :)

The Newtonian equation, F=ma is replaced in relativity (relativistic dynamics) by F = dp/dt, where p is momentum. So force is the rate of change of momentum with respect to time.

F=dp/dt is valid in Newtonian mechanics as well, so it's valid in both relativistic and Newtonian mechanics.

To anyone who remembers their calculus, this should be a sufficient explanation. I suspect that many PF readers who ask this question don't remember (or haven't yet had) calculus, so the explanation doesn't always seem to "get through" unfortunately..

I'll go through the math in more detail, but understanding the technical points does require one to know/remember their calculus - at least the way I am going to present it. If we start with p = m*v, which is universally true both in relativistic and Newtonian mechanics, we next apply the chain rule for derivatives to simplify the expression. Thus we write dp/dt = (dm/dt)*v + m (dv/dt). When m is constant, dm/dt is zero, the first term disappears, and dp/dt reduces to f = m dv/dt = ma. In relativistic dynamics, p = ##\gamma m v##, so ##dp/dt = (d \gamma/dt) m v + \gamma (dm/dt) v + \gamma m (dv/dt)##, where ##\gamma = 1/\sqrt{1-(v/c)^2)}##

Likes fresh_42
Thank you, Pervect. It was kind of you to take all this time!

pervect said:
The Newtonian equation, F=ma is replaced in relativity (relativistic dynamics) by F = dp/dt, where p is momentum.

F = dp/dt actually is the Newtonian equation. F = m·a comes from Euler.

Likes nrqed

1. What is the difference between F=ma and E=mc2?

F=ma is Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. E=mc2 is Einstein's famous equation that describes the relationship between energy (E), mass (m), and the speed of light (c). While F=ma is used to calculate physical forces on objects, E=mc2 is used to calculate the amount of energy released from a given mass.

2. How are F=ma and E=mc2 related?

F=ma and E=mc2 are related in that they both involve the concept of mass. F=ma describes the force required to accelerate a mass, while E=mc2 describes the amount of energy contained within a mass. Additionally, both equations are fundamental to understanding the laws of motion and the theory of relativity.

3. Can F=ma and E=mc2 be unified or combined into one equation?

No, F=ma and E=mc2 cannot be unified or combined into one equation. While they both involve mass, they are describing different phenomena and cannot be simplified into a single equation. However, they are both essential components of understanding the physical world and are often used together in scientific calculations and experiments.

4. How does F=ma relate to everyday life?

F=ma is relevant to everyday life as it describes how forces affect the motion of objects. This can be seen in everyday activities such as driving a car, throwing a ball, or even walking. Understanding F=ma allows us to predict how objects will move and how much force is needed to achieve a certain acceleration.

5. What is the significance of E=mc2 in the scientific community?

E=mc2 is significant in the scientific community as it revolutionized our understanding of the relationship between energy and mass. It also laid the foundation for the development of nuclear energy and the theories of relativity. It is considered one of the most famous and groundbreaking equations in physics.