The resistance in water between two bouys

In summary: Oops. Thanks rude man. I realized I had made a mistake and was about to correct it when I saw your posting. So, here goes again:For a single isolated current source of radius a in an infinite ocean, V=\frac{ρI}{4\pi a}and for a single isolated current sink of radius a in an infinite ocean,V=-\frac{ρI}{4\pi a}So, for the combination of a source and a sink in an infinite ocean, both with the same current I,ΔV=\frac{ρI}{2\pi a}
Order

Homework Statement

Two spherical buoys float half submerged in a calm deep sea. Their radius a is very much smaller than their separation b. Calculate the resistance between them if the resistivity of the water is ρ.

Homework Equations

[tex]R=V/I[/tex]
[tex]V=\int Edl[/tex]
[tex]I=\sigma \int_S \textbf{E} \cdot d \textbf{S}[/tex]
[tex]\rho = \sigma^{-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The field between the bouys is
[tex]E=\frac{Q}{\varepsilon 4 \pi} \Big(\frac{1}{x^2}-\frac{1}{(b-x)^2} \Big) =E_1+E_2[/tex]
I already know how to show that
[tex]V \simeq \frac{Q}{2 \pi \varepsilon_0} \Big( \frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b-a} \Big) \simeq \frac{Q}{a 2 \pi \varepsilon_0}[/tex]
Now here comes the tricky part and I am not sure what I am doing but it feels like the current between the two bouys should pass a theoretical Earth before reaching each other. The reason for this is that when the two bouys are a distant apart half of their field lines should still join. Is this reasonable? So reasoning like that
[tex]I= \sigma \int_{S_{between}} \textbf{E} \cdot d \textbf{S}=2 \sigma \int_{earth} \textbf{E}_1 \cdot d \textbf{S} = \sigma \int_{sphere} \textbf{E}_1 \cdot d \textbf{S} = \frac{Q}{ \rho \varepsilon_0} [/tex]

And finally
[tex]R=V/I=\frac{\rho}{2 \pi a}[/tex]
But the correct answer is ##R=\frac{\rho}{\pi a}## so I guess I overestimated the current by a factor 2. (Where did it go wrong? I always tend to miss a factor 2 in electromagnetism.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Could it be because the spheres are only half submerged? How does that affect the current?

gneill said:
Could it be because the spheres are only half submerged? How does that affect the current?

The OP calculated R = half the alleged correct answer but if the spheres are only half submerged then the resistance should be doubled, not halved (since air resistance >> salt water).

Anyway, I wouldn't offhand know how to approach this problem. Interesting that the answer is not a function of b.

Ok, I'm glad there was nothing wrong with my calculations or reasoning, but the problem was that I thought the bouys were submerged very Deep in the ocean! (yes the current becomes halved and the resistance doubled.)

rude man said:
Interesting that the answer is not a function of b.
Yes - as Order noted, you can treat each sphere separately. Model the ocean as a semi-infinite space (z < 0, say) minus a hemispherical portion, r < a. The resistance of a hemispherical shell radius r > a and thickness dr is ρdr/(2πr2), so the total resistance to infinity is ρ/(2πa). Getting from one sphere to the other involves (in the limit) going out to infinity and back again, giving a total ρ/(πa).

Order said:
Ok, I'm glad there was nothing wrong with my calculations or reasoning, but the problem was that I thought the bouys were submerged very Deep in the ocean! (yes the current becomes halved and the resistance doubled.)

Yes. This is a correct assessment.

For a single isolated source of radius a in an infinite ocean,
[tex]V=4\pi \rho a I[/tex]
and for a single isolated sink of radius a in an infinite ocean,
[tex]V=-4\pi \rho a I[/tex]
So, for the combination of a source and a sink, both with the same current I,
[tex]ΔV=\pi \rho a (2I)[/tex]

Because of symmetry, the half-submerged (semi-infinite) problem is the same as the fully submerged problem with the 2I replaced by I.

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
Yes. This is a correct assessment.

For a single isolated source of radius a in an infinite ocean,
[tex]V=4\pi \rho a I[/tex]
and for a single isolated sink of radius a in an infinite ocean,
[tex]V=-4\pi \rho a I[/tex]
So, for the combination of a source and a sink, both with the same current I,
[tex]ΔV=\pi \rho a (2I)[/tex]

Because of symmetry, the half-submerged (semi-infinite) problem is the same as the fully submerged problem with the 2I replaced by I.

Chet, I don't understand: V/I is resistance but your expression is not ohms:
[tex]ΔV=\pi \rho a (2I)[/tex] → ΔV/I = 2πρa which has units of (ohm-m)*(m) = ohm-m^2.

rude man said:
Chet, I don't understand: V/I is resistance but your expression is not ohms:
[tex]ΔV=\pi \rho a (2I)[/tex] → ΔV/I = 2πρa which has units of (ohm-m)*(m) = ohm-m^2.

Oops. Thanks rude man. I realized I had made a mistake and was about to correct it when I saw your posting. So, here goes again:

For a single isolated current source of radius a in an infinite ocean,
[tex]V=\frac{ρI}{4\pi a}[/tex]
and for a single isolated current sink of radius a in an infinite ocean,
[tex]V=-\frac{ρI}{4\pi a}[/tex]
So, for the combination of a source and a sink in an infinite ocean, both with the same current I,
[tex]ΔV=\frac{ρI}{2\pi a}[/tex]
Because of symmetry, the half-submerged (semi-infinite) problem is the same as the fully submerged problem with the I replaced by 2I, since, in the infinite ocean problem, half the current goes to the top half of the spheres and half the current goes to the bottom half of the spheres. So, for the half-submerged problem,
[tex]ΔV=\frac{ρI}{\pi a}[/tex]
Sorry for my previous error.

Chet

Last edited:

1. What is the resistance in water between two bouys?

The resistance in water between two bouys is the force that opposes the movement of the bouys in water. It is caused by the friction between the surface of the bouys and the surrounding water molecules.

2. How is the resistance in water between two bouys calculated?

The resistance in water between two bouys is calculated by multiplying the drag coefficient, cross-sectional area, and the velocity of the bouys. The drag coefficient is a measure of how streamlined the bouys are, while the cross-sectional area is the size of the front-facing area of the bouys.

3. What factors affect the resistance in water between two bouys?

The resistance in water between two bouys is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the bouys, the speed at which they are moving, and the properties of the water such as density and viscosity.

4. How does the resistance in water between two bouys impact their movement?

The resistance in water between two bouys can significantly impact their movement by slowing them down and making it more challenging to move through the water. This resistance is especially important for boats and ships, as it can affect their speed and fuel efficiency.

5. Can the resistance in water between two bouys be reduced?

Yes, the resistance in water between two bouys can be reduced by making the bouys more aerodynamic, reducing their cross-sectional area, or increasing their speed. Additionally, using special coatings or materials on the bouys can also help reduce resistance and improve their movement in water.