The right of way in a certain situation

• Thread starter bluemoonKY
  • Start date
In summary: People who live here just turn left when they pull out (we drive on the left - so, in your case, turn right).In summary, it is possible for the trajectories of two cars opposite each other making left turns at the same time to intersect, but this is most likely to happen if one of the cars is only a little to the left. If one of the cars is 73 feet long tractor-trailer, then a collision may occur.
bluemoonKY said:
I just made a diagram of my situation on a dry erase board . I'm not much of an artist lol, but you should still be able to get the point from my diagram. CLick on the picture of the thumbnail to expand it. You really need to expand it. If you don't, you might misinterpret me again.

View attachment 102266
:smile: I find the idea to install a traffic light for people to cross the streets usually not at the critical crossroads or whereabouts is a good solution that can be applied in this case (that is, you just press the button and wait for 5 seconds after the red light is on and the cars from both directions will stop, you then can walk from BurgerKing to McDonald or vice versa).
Other than this you may have to follow the rule, no crossing is allowed, and drive on your right side until you can make a U turn.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that where I'm from this awkward situation is avoided by not designing exits this poorly.