The Role of Microwave Radiation in Electron Spin Resonance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Swatch
Messages
88
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An electron is in an applied magnetic field.
This electron is then radiated with microwave radiation which is at the correct larmor frequency.


Homework Equations


1) Does the electron absorb microwave radiation when the applied microwave radiation induces a spin flip if it was initally in the spin down state(lower zemann energy state)?
2) Does the electon emit microwave radiation when it flips from the spin up state(higher zemann energy state) to the spin down state?


The Attempt at a Solution


I am a little puzzled with this question since I haven't been able to find any clues in my textbooks about electron emitting mw radiation. But I guess the electron should emit mw radiation when it goes from a high energy state to a lower one, just as it absorbs energy when it goes from a lower to a higher energy state.

Can anyone please help me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Swatch said:
I am a little puzzled with this question since I haven't been able to find any clues in my textbooks about electron emitting mw radiation. But I guess the electron should emit mw radiation when it goes from a high energy state to a lower one, just as it absorbs energy when it goes from a lower to a higher energy state.
Yes, this is correct. It is entirely analogous to nuclear magnetic resonance.