The shape of infinitesimal objects

In summary, the conversation discusses the demonstrations of flux and circulation around infinitesimally small cubes and squares, and whether they can be considered as general proofs or just special cases. It is debated whether the shape of the infinitesimal objects matters in the proof, with one person arguing that it does and the other arguing that it does not.
LucasGB
I managed to show that the flux through an infinitesimally small cube equals the divergence of the vector field at that point. I also managed to show that the circulation around an infinitesimally small square equals the component of the curl perpendicular to that square at that point.

Should these demonstrations be considered special cases, since they deal with cubes and squares instead of general shapes, or can I consider them to be general proofs? Does the shape of the infinitesimal objects matter in that kind of proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to taka a look at the definitions of divergence and curl in general curvilinear coordinates.
Your demonstrations with flux and circulation around cubes and squares are then special cases for the Euclidean frame of reference, but hopefully someone else in this forum can confirm this.

LucasGB said:
Does the shape of the infinitesimal objects matter in that kind of proof?[/I]

In rigorous math, you have to show that it is shape-independent, even if your are taking the limit for infinitely small objects. I would guess that this is related to your assumptions on the continuity/regularity of the vectors fields.

Torquil

LucasGB said:
I managed to show that the flux through an infinitesimally small cube equals the divergence of the vector field at that point. I also managed to show that the circulation around an infinitesimally small square equals the component of the curl perpendicular to that square at that point.

Should these demonstrations be considered special cases, since they deal with cubes and squares instead of general shapes, or can I consider them to be general proofs? Does the shape of the infinitesimal objects matter in that kind of proof?

the shape is arbitrary. Cubes are used because they are geometrically easy.

Last edited:
Well, torquil and wofsy are disagreeing. :) If I understand correctly, torquil thinks this does not constitute a rigorous proof, while wofsy does. What do you guys think of each other's arguments?

I think that if you have already proved the theorem for an infinitesimal cube, then you have proved the theorem in general. This is because a very small (simply connected, smooth, etc.) region in [tex]\Re^{3}[/tex] can be approximated well by a very small cube. So an infinitesimal 3-dimensional region will be perfectly approximated by an infinitesimal cube. Ditto for the curl theorem and the infinitesimal square.

lugita15 said:
I think that if you have already proved the theorem for an infinitesimal cube, then you have proved the theorem in general. This is because a very small (simply connected, smooth, etc.) region in [tex]\Re^{3}[/tex] can be approximated well by a very small cube. So an infinitesimal 3-dimensional region will be perfectly approximated by an infinitesimal cube. Ditto for the curl theorem and the infinitesimal square.

I sure hope so. That would save me a lot of trouble.

1. What is an infinitesimal object?

An infinitesimal object is a mathematical concept that refers to a quantity that is infinitely small, or approaching zero. It is used in calculus and other branches of mathematics to describe changes in quantities over infinitely small intervals.

2. How do you visualize the shape of infinitesimal objects?

Since infinitesimal objects are too small to be seen with the naked eye, they cannot be visualized in the traditional sense. Instead, we use mathematical models and representations, such as graphs and equations, to understand their shape and properties.

3. What are some common examples of infinitesimal objects?

Some common examples of infinitesimal objects include points, lines, and curves. These are all considered infinitely small in size, but have important roles in mathematical models and calculations.

4. What is the significance of studying the shape of infinitesimal objects?

The study of infinitesimal objects is crucial in the field of calculus, as it allows us to understand and manipulate the behavior of continuously changing quantities. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of science.

5. How does the shape of infinitesimal objects relate to the concept of limits?

The shape of infinitesimal objects is directly related to the concept of limits in calculus. The shape or behavior of an infinitesimal object can be described by taking the limit of a function as its input approaches zero. Similarly, the concept of a limit is used to define and understand infinitesimal objects.