1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Slope of the Curve, Derivatives

1. Aug 26, 2009 #1
    1. Find the derivative f' of f(x)=x^2. Then find the slope of the curve y=f(x) at x=3 and write an equation for the tangent line.

2. I know that the derivative of x^2 is 2x and I'm guessing that y=x^2, therfore, (3)^2 = 9 which is the value of y. So now the point is (3,9). How do I find the slope? Do I do rise over run which is 9/3 which is 3?

3. I already know the tangent line equation but the slope is getting me confused. I know slope is y=mx+b But what if this is with derivatives?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2009 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. The equation of the line is y = mx + b. m is the slope and b is the y intercept.

To find the slope of the tangent line, note that the derivative of a function at a point gives the slope of the tangent line. Then you have one point (3,9) and the slope, so you should be able to find the equation of the line.

4. Aug 26, 2009 #3
    The equation of the tangent line is:

[tex]y-y_0=f'(x_0)(x-x_0)[/tex]

In this case x0=3 and y0=9

Regards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook