The relation between the normal and the slope of a cylindrical curve

In summary, the conversation revolves around the formula for the relation between the normal and slope of a curve, which is shown in the picture. The questioner is confused because they do not have the curve equation and are curious how the given equation was derived. The writer assumes the use of the gradient operator to obtain the normal vector on a cylindrical curve, but they do not have the function F and are unsure why the writer used the only phi component. The questioner is seeking help in obtaining the formula based on the curve coordinates.
baby_1
As you can see in this picture:
pAyHm.jpg
This explanation "relation between the normal and the slope of a curve" is formulated here:

$$\frac{1}{\rho} \frac{d\rho }{d\psi }=\tan\left(\frac{\theta+\psi}{2}\right)$$

I got confused because I don't have the curve equation(regarding the slope of the curve and normal vector) and I am curious to know how the above equation is derived.

First I assume that the normal vector on cylindrical curve is going to obtain via gradian operator:
$$\bigtriangledown F=\frac{\partial F }{\partial r}\hat{ar}+\frac{\partial F }{r\partial \phi}\hat{\phi}+\frac{\partial F }{\partial z}\hat{az}$$
but I don't have the F function, and as you can see the above question the writer assume F as $$\rho$$ that I don't understand where it comes from and why the writer used the only phi component.

I will be grateful if you could help me to obtain the formula based on the curve coordinates.

Physics news on Phys.org
@baby_1 what has this to do with textbooks? :wideeyed:

Thank you Malawi_glenn,
Yes, it seems the administrators changed the group of my question. My question is part of an article instead of a textbook.

1. What is a cylindrical curve?

A cylindrical curve is a type of 3-dimensional curve that is formed by intersecting a plane with a cylinder.

2. What is the normal of a cylindrical curve?

The normal of a cylindrical curve is a line that is perpendicular to the tangent of the curve at a given point. It indicates the direction in which the curve is curving at that point.

3. How is the normal related to the slope of a cylindrical curve?

The normal and the slope of a cylindrical curve are related because the slope of the curve can be calculated using the normal vector. The slope is equal to the magnitude of the normal vector divided by the radius of the cylinder.

4. Can the normal and slope of a cylindrical curve be negative?

Yes, the normal and slope of a cylindrical curve can be negative. This indicates that the curve is curving in the opposite direction or has a downward slope at that point.

5. How is the normal and slope of a cylindrical curve used in real-world applications?

The normal and slope of a cylindrical curve are used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and computer graphics. They are used to calculate the curvature and orientation of a curved surface, which is important in designing and constructing structures and objects with curved surfaces.