Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The state of two identical bosons

1. Aug 4, 2014 #1
    Hi PF.
    If I have two identical bosons, one in the single-particle state [itex]\phi_{a}(x)[/itex] and the other in the single-particle state [itex]\phi_{b}(x)[/itex], the two-particle state of the system would then be :

[itex]\psi(x_{1},x_{2}) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\big(\phi_{a}(x_{1})\phi_{b}(x_{2}) + \phi_{b}(x_{1})\phi_{a}(x_{2})\big)[/itex]

right ?
    Then if both bosons are in the same single-particle state, say [itex]\phi_{a}(x)[/itex], then the two-particle state according the equation above, would be :

[itex]\psi(x_{1},x_{2}) = \sqrt{2}\phi_{a}(x_{1})\phi_{a}(x_{2})[/itex]

But this two-particle state isn't normalized, due to factor of [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].
    I can't see were I go wrong, someone who can help ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2014 #2
    That's not an issue. You can always renormalize the wave function. All the wave functions must have unitary norm

4. Aug 4, 2014 #3
    Thanks Einj, that helped a lot.
    I just found it strange that my textbook would write the normalization factor as [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{N!}}[/itex], for N identical bosons.. But this only seems to be the case where the bosons isn't occupying the same single-particle state.

It would be more accurate/general to write the two-particle state as :[itex]\psi(x_{1},x_{2}) = A\big(\phi_{a}(x_{1})\phi_{b}(x_{2}) + \phi_{b}(x_{1})\phi_{a}(x_{2})\big)[/itex].

And again thanks :-)

5. Aug 4, 2014 #4
    Yes indeed. If I remember correctly the right normalization for a bosonic wave function is:
    $$
    \Psi(x_1,...,x_N;\alpha_1,...,\alpha_N)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N!\prod_{k=1}^N n_k!}}\sum_{\sigma}\sigma\left(\phi_{\alpha_1}(x_1)\phi_{\alpha_2}(x_2)\cdots \phi_{\alpha_N}(x_N)\right),
    $$
    where [itex]\sigma[/itex] are all the possible permutations and [itex]n_k[/itex] is the number of bosons in the same state [itex]\alpha_k[/itex].

I hope I'm not missing anything, but that was the main idea.

6. Aug 4, 2014 #5
    Yes, exactly... This gives the correct normalized wavefunction I was looking for. The lecture notees I'm reading has just dropped the factor of [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\Pi_{k=1}^{N}n_{k}!}}[/itex].

Enjoy the rest of your day :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook